Don't Buy Blog-Hyped Gadgets

Former Consumerist Editor Joel Johnson takes to task so-called “bleeding edge” consumer electronic mavens, and the bloggers that feed them tripe. In a recent screed, he advises waiting for the early adopters to make the pricey mistakes for you, “before taking a modest plunge.”

Stop buying this crap. Just stop it. You don’t need it. Wait a year until the reviews come out and the other suckers too addicted to having the very latest and greatest buy it, put up a review, and have moved on to something else. Stop buying broken products and then shrugging your shoulders when it doesn’t do what it is supposed to. Stop buying products that serve any other master than you. Use older stuff that works. Make it yourself. Only buy new stuff from companies that have proven themselves good servants of their customers in the past. Complaining online about this stuff helps, but really, just stop buying it.

Are most gadget blogs just closet flogs? — BEN POPKEN

Joel Johnson Returns…to Spank Us All for Supporting Crap [Gizmodo]

Comments

1. shoegazer says:

AHAHAHAHA. Best thing I’ve read on Giz, for… ever, actually. And to think I never knew he did a Consumerist stint! The mind BOGGLES.

2. LatherRinseRepeat says:

[cough] iphone [/cough]

As much as I like new technology and gadgets, I always wait at least a year. During that year, all the bugs and quirks get discovered, and fixed. And towards the middle or end of the year, the price drops.

3. karmaghost says:

Welcome to “The Common Sense Hour.” I have to admit, however, that sometimes the temptation is simply to great to wait.

4. Tim Matheson says:

I should have thought about it before I bought Windows Vista. It literally crippled me from being productive at work. Almost every piece of software I use for work primarily Dreamweaver 8 didn’t work or had serious bugs. Needless to say I went back to XP Pro and everything is back in order now. I made the plunge to Vista after reading Gina Trapani’s rant’s and rave’s about how sexy and cool the new Microsoft OS was. On a more positive note I bought a Wii off ebay for $350 after Ben mentioned it and am very pleased with it. The only part I dislike about the Wii is that the controllers are non-existent in our local Wal-Mart. I guess I just got tax season fever as most people do this time of year.

Best,

Tim Matheson

5. simmo says:

I enjoy reading about all the new things to come…all shiny and expensive. I also know that I will only buy them once they are mostly accepted and reasonably priced.

6. Tonguetied says:

Yeah but…

There has to be a certain (low) percentage of early adopters of new technology in order to get things going. If everyone shows common sense and only buys what is proven to work then we’ll never get anything new.

Of course most of these early adopters are high disposable income types who can afford to pay through the nose for bleeding edge gadgets.

7. rasbach says:

@Tonguetied: We call those beta testers where I’m from. All those people in line waiting for a product release– they’re testing it out for me.