Vitamine Shoppe Multivitamins Contaminated With Lead

MSNBC is reporting some scary findings about supplements:

Of 21 brands of multivitamins on the market in the United States and Canada selected by ConsumerLab.com and tested by independent laboratories, just 10 met the stated claims on their labels or satisfied other quality standards.

Most worrisome, according to ConsumerLab.com president Dr. Tod Cooperman, is that one product, The Vitamin Shoppe Multivitamins Especially for Women, was contaminated with lead.

The amount of lead was more than 10 times what is permitted without a warning in California, (the only state with relevant guidelines.)

The study concluded that consumers were generally better off buying well-known brands when it came to vitamins. —MEGHANN MARCO

A vitamin a day may do more harm than good
[MSNBC] (Thanks, Mark!)

Comments

1. That’s why I’m a Flintstones Kid.

2. 10,000,000 strong, and growing!

3. Magister says:

My wife buys the Gummy Bear vitamins… At least you know its candy at the start.

4. kerry says:

Hey, I know that vitamin shoppe, it’s on the corner of Clark and Diversey. You should give this post a “chicago” tag. Heh.

5. infinitysnake says:

Forget the gummy bears…ahve you seen the pixie sticks?

6. Trai_Dep says:

This “problem” is something easily rectified with a simple burst added to the packaging:

now… with LEAD!

Make it pretty enough, consumers will be scratching their eyes out to buy more.

7. kbax says:

Ooh, Magister, hope it’s not “Yummi Bears”. FTA:

The analysis also showed that Hero Nutritionals Yummi Bears, a multivitamin for children, had 216 percent of the labeled amount of vitamin A in the retinol form, delivering 5,400 International Units (IU) in a daily serving. That’s substantially more than the upper tolerable level set by the Institute of Medicine of 2,000 IU for kids ages 1 to 3 and 3,000 IU for those 4 to 8.

Evidently that can cause bone weakening and liver problems. There were a few others listed in the article that didn’t meet the standards.

8. billybastion says:

I only buy Centrum Silver, even though I’m only 25. I read somewhere (Men’s Health I believe) that the iron levels in regular Centrum are too high for young men, so I’ve been taking Centrum Silver for two years now.

I recommend it to anyone and everyone. I think everybody should take a vitamin (barring any medical problems that would prevent you from doing so) because I think most Americans defintely get enough “good stuff” out of their daily food intake.

9. billybastion says:

Actually, thats “don’t get enough good stuff”. Sorry.

10. TedSez says:

This is news, right? So how come MSNBC.com doesn’t give us the entire list… are they afraid of violating ConsumerLab’s copyright?

I don’t begrudge ConsumerLab’s right to make a profit, though there’s something weird about a company that says, “We’ve discovered that some brands of vitamins may be harming you… and if you pay us $27 for a subscription, we’ll tell you which ones they are.” But MSNBC is supposedly practicing journalism. After quoting ConsumerLab’s president as saying “half the products were fine, half were not,” don’t they have a responsibility at least to name all of the “not fine” ones?