United Airlines: Sorry We Lost Your Cat in the Cargo Hold For 3 Weeks

Poor kitty! From MSNBC:

A 12-year-old orange tabby cat named “Pumpkin” is said to be doing well, after going three weeks without food or water in the cargo hold of a passenger jet that flew from England to Germany.

After the United Airlines flight to Munich last month, Pumpkin was supposed to board a connecting flight to Washington, D.C. but never made it.

Poor kitty! When the cat’s owners went to pick up Pumpkin, they found her carrier broken and empty. “On Wednesday United cargo workers found the tired, hungry animal at Denver International Airport. She was taken to a veterinary clinic for treatment of starvation and extreme dehydration.” Pumpkin is going to make it, and she’ll be flying home on the lap of a United employee. Wow, buy a sturdy cat carrier, huh?

Cat found, tired and hungry after 3 weeks in cargo hold [MSNBC]

Comments

1. Falconfire says:

Wow, buy a sturdy cat carrier, huh?

more these guys need to learn how to do their jobs.

The web is ripe with people who lost their pets due to carrier negligence in taking care of that whole “live animal handle with care” thing.

They throw carriers, taunt animals, even reports of killing animals for enjoyment all the time. Thats what you get when you employ high school dropouts with taking care of your stuff.

2. kerry says:

Gaaaaah. Thanks, after all these airlines articles lately I’m just not going to fly anywhere ever again.

3. North of 49 says:

This is not an unknown occurance.

Thank god the cat was found alive!

4. matto says:

yet another reason why United never deserves a penny more of your business.

5. MeOhMy says:

I’m going to do this once and this is the only time I’m ever going to do this:

I’M IN UR PLANE SCRATCHIN UR S00TCASE5

6. Its contagious isnt it troy f. ?

I swore that I would only do it once. Now, I feel dissapointed when somebody else beats me to the punch.

I would have gone with

IM IN YUR CARGOZ, EATIN YUR PRETZLEZ

7. heypal says:

Troy F.:
    I’M IN UR PLANE SCRATCHIN UR S00TCASE5

I’m only going to laugh at that for a minute and that is the only minute during which I will laugh at it.

8. acambras says:

Oh Jeez! I wanted to write what Holden said but he beat me to it. But I think Troy F wins the prize this time. :-)

And *I* will be laughing about this all weekend, I think.

9. Antediluvian says:

I have yet to find a single reason to even CONSIDER flying United at this point.

It’s kinda like cell carriers — they all suck, but some might sorta suck a little less sometimes if you’re lucky.

I’m leaning towards Delta these days. Continental seems to suck less than they did in the 80′s and early 90′s too.

Anyone have a airline they like?

10. Antediluvian says:

Oh, and Holden — couldn’t do the “PRETZLEZ” bit because United drops its snacks, remember?

11. heypal says:

I really do think that’s hilarious (Troy’s comment, not the lost cat, which is sad and upsetting). It’s been well over a minute and I’m still laughing.

12. Helvetian says:

I really like Delta, been a loyal pax since 1995. I’m so glad the cat was found alive and is recovering. I would never check my beloved cat as cargo, too risky for a loved one. I would go crazy if anything happened to my cat, I would have ignited a nasty publicity campaign over it against UAL. Again I am so happy the cat survived!

13. I read an article not to long ago that a plane was grounded for a month, because they had a mouse problem. Maybe ‘Pumpkin’ found a similarly infested plane.

14. Oh, duh. It was on the Consumerist