Teavana Can’t Do Math

Julia writes:

Last weekend, my holiday spirit was crushed as I was taking a leisurely shopping stroll through a Dallas mall and I wanted to share the story with you all…

Julia continues:

“I went into a local Teavana store to purchase some gourmet tea as a holiday present for my grandparents. The salesgirl there told me that if I got 16 oz. of tea. I would get a 10% discount. This sounded like a pretty good deal, so I ordered enough tea to get to the discount, which came out to around $62 total. When I got my receipt, I saw that there was only 90 CENTS taken as a discount. This is the point when the sales manager, Dwayne, got involved. He first asked the salesgirl whether she administered the 10% discount after every tea (which it turned out, she did not. The $.90 discount was only taken off of the last item, which was $8.99). At this point, I hadn’t figured this out yet, so I sort of let his question to the salesgirl go. On the other hand, at this point Dwayne must have known that the receipt was calculated incorrectly.

This is the point in the customer service experience when any other high-end store clerk would stop, apologize, listen to my question and recalculate the receipt. But not Dwayne. After several times of me trying to explain to him that any way you look at the receipt, 90 cents does not a 10% discount make, I realized that he actually didn’t care about what calculation made sense. What he cared about was that the register calculated a certain discount and what the cash register calculates goes.

At this time, I said that the discount that was sold to me was not the real deal being offered and that I wanted to return the product. Dwayne told me that the item is unreturnable because it is a food product – something that is stated on their receipts. How I was supposed to know that before buying something and getting the receipt is beyond me.

I pointed out that I was buying a gourmet food product for $60 not from a computer but from a thinking person that is supposed to provide me with the appropriate level of customer service and Dwayne countered with the suggestion that the customer service that he is willing to provide me with is to do nothing.

I have taken down Dwayne’s first and last name, the phone number to the corporate office, and the name of Dwayne’s manager. Honestly, it’s not even about the $5 of discount that I didn’t get. Teavana and Dwayne took my holiday spirit and stomped on it. My jollitude, festiviness and cheeriosity suffered a crushing fate that day.

Teavana has a bunch of stores across the country. Anyone else experience this atrocious customer service from these guys?”

Comments

1. weave says:

Woah, you mean you didn’t leave the store, didn’t open the package, and just wanted your money back and they still insisted it wasn’t returnable? Especially after misrepresenting the sale terms?

It’s reasons like this why customers learn to be jerks and question everything that is being rung up. I know cashiers hate that (I was one a long time ago) but what else are you supposed to do in cases like this?

I do that in Borders when shopping with a corporate 20% discount. I tally up the books ahead of time, take off 20% (unless it says NET) and if THEN take it up front. If the cash register doesn’t agree with my calculation I end up asking where the discount is BEFORE I hand over my credit card.

2. 44 in a Row says:

I’m totally on her side here. Yes, it’s only $5, but it’s the principle of the thing. If a store gets you to buy more product than you normally would with the promise of a discount, and then refuses to apply that discount after the fact… well, that’s just unacceptable. Especially since it was very clear that the manager knew what had happened, but seems to have been too lazy to fix the transaction manually.

Like the commenter above me, I also used to be a cashier, and the register was not always right. Everyone involved in retail – customers and cashiers – needs to recognize that, and anyone that won’t or can’t will cause exactly the sort of problems that this manager did.

3. gte910h says:

You can dispute *part* of a charge.

Call the store manager. Tell him you’re going to have your CC chargeback the 10% difference.

If he doesn’t budge, just call your CC and lodge the dispute for the difference.

4. rbf2000 says:

I know when I used to work at Circuit City people would bring up coupons and I would need to state the total before the coupon and after the coupon was applied, since the receipt doesn’t actually itemize the discount, it just takes it off the price of the item.

At first it irked me when people would question the math, but after a while I understood where they were coming from, and I started doing what I mentioned above.

5. I’ve had pretty good service at Teavanas. Sometimes they’re a bit slow, but for the most part, they’re helpful and courteous (they also sometimes offer you a free cup of tea when you buy loose tea, which is nice).

I hope the customer who sent this in does escalate it to the guy’s manager / corporate.

6. kimdog says:

The a similar thing happened to me at Old Navy while buying clearance items this week. All the xmas wrap and tags were marked 75% off. Lots and lots of signage over the entire display.

When I got to the checkout, every thing rang up correctly except the gift tags, which came up at 50% off (they were $2 a pack, and I was charged .97 instead of .50, but I had 10 packs). I had to explain to the kid checking me out that they were not ringing up correct, after which he proclaimed me some sort of “math whiz” because I could calculate 75% off of two bucks in my head.

He tried to get another co-worker to help him, but we went through the same thing again (yes, they rang up on sale, but not at the correct amount).

Finally a manager came over and after rescanning the tags she pointed at the sale sign and said the 75% only applied to selected items. When I asked why there where about 500 packages of the gift tags on the sale display if they weren’t included she just shrugged and walked off.

I didn’t buy them, and left because I was on my lunch break. I e-mailed ON, and got an e-mail back asking me to call the customer service department. Which I suppose I will do on Monday.

7. Antediluvian says:

I don’t know what style tea was purchased by the original writer, but if it was loose I can understand not being able to return it as a food item (think of returning a pound of sliced turkey to the deli counter). If it was boxed or otherwise untouched by people since it was packaged, well that’s just stupid.

In Mass., the stores can have any return policy they want, but they have to post it in the store. Merely printing the policy on the receipt is not considered sufficient notice.

8. JT says:

Down with corporate pop-culture regurgitation!

9. sixtoe says:

Consumerist breaks down when submitters write 500-word screeds about a how a $7/hr. salesperson in a mall store has some trouble processing a $5 discount correctly.

I’m just sayin’.

10. Charmander says:

It doesn’t matter how much money you make per hour – you should still be able to do basic math, and/or apply a discount correctly.

Basic math, people.

I bought a pizza the other day, which came to $11.78. After handing the clerk a $20, she was completely unable to give me the correct change. She absolutely could not subtract 11.78 from 20. She ended up giving me $11.22 as change. I tried to point out her error and gave her back the extra, but she still didn’t get it.

11. infinitysnake says:

Yes, for $7 an hour, the clerk should have basic math skills. I do expect even the lowliest employed person who handles money to have at least a sixth grade education.

12. bowersst says:

$7 per hour is below minimum wage in my state. If retailers in other areas are doling out such miniscule wages, they are getting what they pay for, apparently.

When I was a retail cashier, we had to take a basic math test. If you did not pass, they would not hire you.

13. MaPaKettle says:

$60 a pound for tea? This must be incredible tea? Or is this usual high end tea prices in the US?

14. Hoss says:

Teavana is a franchise operation where the level of service/competency would vary by location.

If she paid $62 she either got approx. 2 lbs of tea, or various gift items along with loose tea. Regardless, she didn’t leave the store so the manager shouldn’t be reciting a return policy — she just wants to cancel the sale.

What would the manager do if the customer had a bladder attack before cashing out and never returned to make the purchase? I don’t see why they couldn’t just put the stuff back in the canisters — but if not, it’s not the buyer’s problem.

15. Amry says:

Hi, sorry, I can’t do math in my head. I’m not an idiot, I promise, I just have to write numbers down to make sense of them. For the same reasons, I could never win a spelling bee (unless it was on paper – then I could kick butt).

I also work in retail. Please don’t act like I’m an idiot because I have to pull out a calculator or a pen and paper to do “basic” math in a situation where a sign is wrong or i have to manipulate our complicated register system. All I’m trying to do is make sure I give you the correct discount, because I – gasp – care about helping you out. At least I did until you sneered at my calculator.

That said, anyone who says something like “sorry, food is not returnable” in a situation like this IS an idiot.

16. Antediluvian says:

I’m gonna amend my deli-sliced turkey statement because I have seen cases where the slicing minion sliced more than the customer wanted and they don’t force you to take it; they put it in the case (hopefully using their gloved hands) and keep it.

What Hoss said — what would Teavana do if the customer just walked away from the sale, her card was declined, or some other situation like that, where the merchandise never truly left the ownership of the store?

[On a related note, at Home Depot and other big-box stores I watch the tally very closely as it's rung up. If the cashier (or computer) makes a mistake or doesn't catch something that mis-scanned, he or she can't do anything about it once the sale has finished. The customer must go to the mythical "customer service desk" and plead for their money that's due.

I also had the pleasure of patronizing a small Scandinavian-import store (The Gotland Horse in Orleans, MA USA) just after Christmas where everything was 30% off. The clerk wrote each purchase down by hand, did math on a calculator, and wrote the discounted prince down. Painstaking and prone to inaccuracy, but I got to watch her do the math and verify the tally, and felt good about the quality of customer service and the prices I was getting. Unfortunately, I don't need tons of Scandinavian imports, but they're still a nice shop and I hope they survive.]

17. Scazza says:

I used to work as cash at a store, and I got to say, the amount of people who cannot do basic transactions in their head is staggering (im not talking about 22% of 76.53 or something, just basic stuff). Its a little sad at times. I used to get customers in the reverse situation who would question the till, and I would explain THEIR math was wrong. So I guess it can happen both ways, but a store has no right to put someone on cash who can’t grasp math at a decent level… If you have to right it down, fine, but do it quick, if your spending 20minutes writing down a simple equation you look like a fool. Sorry.

18. 44 in a Row says:

I don’t think the issue isn’t whether or not the clerk and manager were capable of doing the math in their head. It seems pretty clear to me from the story that the manager knew that the total on the register didn’t jive with what the actual total should have been. The problem is that the manager was unwilling to consider the possibility that the register was wrong. Although it’s very true that it’s kind of scary how many people can’t seem to do basic math, the math skills (or lack thereof) aren’t at issue here; it’s the manager’s belief in the infallibility of the register.

19. Amry: “Please don’t act like I’m an idiot because I have to pull out a calculator or a pen and paper to do “basic” math in a situation where a sign is wrong or i have to manipulate our complicated register system.”

I think most of us APPRECIATE you doing that. Particularly if there’s a discrepancy between the register (which is supposed to do the math accurately and automatically) and the customer’s math on the discount. I WANT you to get out a pen or a calculator and check the register’s math!

I can’t do percentages in my head to save my life. This is why God gave us cell phones with a calculator function.

(Although it is a little alarming when someone can’t grasp that $.90 on a $60 purchase isn’t even CLOSE to 10%, even if they can’t figure out what 10% SHOULD be. If it were .60 on $60 I’d have more sympathy because I always misplace my decimal points too.)

20. mackjaz says:

There’s no reason, except laziness that he couldn’t back the transaction out. That’s why he’s a manager – he’s got one of those magical cards that authorizes overages. This is tantamount to one of my most hated excuses: “the computer doesn’t work that way.”

21. RandomHookup says:

I have the problem kimdog mentions all the time when it comes to the clearance bin. I have spent more time than it’s worth arguing the math for Xmas candy that went from 75% to 90% off and there are no price tags. Sometimes it’s not the pennies, it’s the principle.

22. MeOhMy says:

Next time, just get your tea from Adagio.com. It’s cheaper and they don’t charge you extra to put it in a tin, in fact they give you a discount if you “reorder” and they send it in a bag.

Teavana has some awesome flavors and it’s good quality. I give it as gifts to tea drinking friends, but I rarely bother actually buying it on my own.

Also – I hate the “What the cash register says goes” mentality. What if it told you your 32oz of tea was $10000? Get real. Maybe the machine is broken or there was user error (as, it turns out, there was). So many people trust machines way too much.

23. formergr says:

Nonetheless, I’m definitely going to check out the site– I’m always up for cheaper tea as long as it’s good!

24. rachmanut says:

When I was little, I and my siblings would play Monopoly on Saturday mornings while my parents slept in. Every time we landed on income tax we would wake them up to ask what 10% of such-and-such was. It was so nice to finally learn “just move the decimal point over”. And thank you, consumerist, for waking up a sweet memory of childhood.

25. MeOhMy says:

“Totally nitpicking, but Troy F– if you get a discount for *not* getting a tin, isn’t that the same as being charged extra when you *do* get a tin?”

I thought about that myself :-)
    At a micro-level, you’re right – if they give you a “discount” for no tin, obviously they roll the cost of the tin into the price.

But at a macro-level… 2oz of gunpowder will run you $4.50 at Teavana, packed in a paper bag. A “sample” of gunpowder (samples are not packaged by weight but are generally around 2oz) from Adagio will run you $2.00 and it even comes in a small metal tin.

Actually, Teavana USED to include tins for smaller purchases, but now I think you have to buy 6 or 8oz of a single tea before they will bother giving you a tin for free. I don’t think the prices on smaller quantites went down when they stopped giving away tins, either.

26. acambras says:

@rachmanut

LOL — we just paid the $200. Fortunately, I’ve acquired a rudimentary grasp of math since then.

27. alicetheowl says:

I think there’s also a difference between an autonomic, “What the register says, goes” and “I’m sorry; give me a second to grab a calculator and puzzle this over.”

I’m rather forgiving of the latter behavior, because I know I’ve been given the benefit of the doubt, as a consumer. The first response makes me wonder, “Is she new?”

I get to register train all the employees at the small, local chain where I work. I’m well aware of the limits of the computer, and I tell new hires precisely what those limits are. Part of the training involves, “Unless you can calculate percentages in your head, get out a calculator to figure out multiple discounts.” (Our registers don’t calculate multiple discounts – they’ll just override the lesser discount.)

If I heard someone stiffed a customer out of a discount just because they weren’t paying attention to that part of my training, they’d be retrained (or pulled off the registers) so fast their head would spin.

28. malgwyn says:

You are buying tea, some of it is very low grade green tea that you would buy at any Asian Grocery for under $3 a pound. They don’t have any real high grade teas, but are marketing like they do. I guess in addition to new clothes, the little emperors will have their tea, after a royal screwing from these con jobs.

Go buy some Bancha or Typhoo, both are as good as anything you’ll find it Teavanitas.

29. nweaver says:

My GF had the exact OPPOSITE experience.

Shopping at Target, the person before her bought a big tray of cat food, some $15 thingy. The cashier accidentally wrang it up on HER tab. She didn’t notice until she got home.

Next day, she walked to the customer service desk, explained what happened, had the receipt, and they happily credited her $15.

30. Sumisu says:

I, too have had terrible luck with Teavana at The Galleria in Dallas, TX. I was dumb enough to try their “premium grade” matcha, which the store also assured me was excellent. I paid nine prices for it. When we opened the can, the horrible smell nearly knocked us down. It’s not even fit for adding to ice cream or cookies. Just terrible. No need to even attempt a refund, but I took it back and talked with the manager about it. I thought he would be interested in knowing. He just looked at me. I also wrote a letter to the Corporate Offices. This stuff was an absolute rip-off. Well, stupid me, for buying matcha from any place other than straight from Japan. No one that I know will buy anything from them. High prices, low quality, in my opinion.

31. csweeps says:

A good example of bad customer service. I also had a bad experience at a Teavana Store in Glendale, Ca.

On Christmas Eve 2006, I spent $120. at a Teavana shop buying a present (teapot & tea) for my sister and tea for myself. I got both of us the same tea, highly recommended by the salesperson – 8 ounes of a Mate Vana blend. (Incidentally, this salesperson also told me I was getting a discount because I’d made a large purchase, but when I looked at the receipt, I saw it refected no discount at all. I figured he forgot to include the discount when he rang up the sale, but I was so busy on Christmas Eve, I didn’t have the time to deal with it.)

At any rate…there is more to this story:
    A couple of days after Christmas, I asked my sister what she thought of the tea and she said she loved the teapot but was not impressed at all with the tea, and in fact had thrown it out because it had a funny after-taste. I told her that I wish she hadn’t thrown it out but instead had given it to me to return, as their tea is very expensive.

NOTE: No place in the Teavana store is there a return policy posted.

A couple of days after that, I made myself a cup of tea with my Mate Vana, and it also tasted bad. A strange artificial sweetener kind of after-taste. I realized that the tea was either bad or contaminated with bad flavoring or sweetener, because I had actually become slightly nauseated from it.

I took my tea back to the Teavana store and asked the salesperson there if anyone had returned this tea because it tasted weird, and she said that she was not aware of it. I explained that it was “off” and that it had even made me nauseous and I asked to exchange it. She said that normally their tea is not returnable. I said to her “There is no sign anyplace in the store stating that their tea is not returnable.” She agreed and said she would ask her manager if she could take it back.

She went over to ask and he, the manager, looked over at me and replied “I’m sorry, but our policy is that none of our teas are returnable. It is clearly printed on the bottom of your receipt.”
    I said “Yes, I can see that on the bottom of the receipt that I was given AFTER I signed for and completed the purchase, but you have no signs posted any place in the store stating that policy before you have already paid for the merchandise.”

He agreed and his exact words were: “Well, we don’t advertise that.”

I said “Yeah, well you should, because letting people know your policy after they have already purchased the product, is self-serving and dishonest – and not taking back bad tea is even worse; clearly bad customer service.”

He actually conceded that the lack of any postings of their return policy in the store, was an issue that needed to be dealt with, but insisted that I could not return the tea, under any circumstances, even for an exchange.

I asked to speak to the manager above him. He said there was no one above him and that he was the head district manager so there was no point in pursuing it any further. I said to him “Look, I’m not asking for a refund just an exchange for another tea and the acknowledgement that something could be wrong with this tea.”

He said ” The reason we can not take back any tea is because we can not put it back into the system and sell it again.” I said “Well, of course you can’t put it back into the system, especially when the tea is “off”. You would have to throw it away. That is an unavoidable business expense, but I shouldn’t be the one to bear that expense.”

By this time people were actually listening to what was going on.
    He said you can contact the corporate office in Atlanta, if you want, but they will back me up on this policy.
    I asked for the phone number to the office and he dismissingly said “You will find it on the back of our catalog.”

I asked for his name and he wrote down “Rob”. I asked for his last name and he looked at me and actually said “What’s YOUR last name?” I told him my last name and waited for him to give me his. He wrote it down on a catalog and left it on the counter.

As I took it from the counter, he started giving me his schpeil again about how the corporate office had the same policy, etc., etc. I just took the catalog with his name, cut him short and said “Yeah, right, thank you.”

As I walked out of the store, he shouted out to me from behind the counter, in the most condescending way “Have a nice day.” — as though he wished a car would hit me in the parking lot.

Honestly, I could never step foot in a Teavana store again. At the prices they charge for tea, their policy and their lack of informing the consumer of it spells out G-R-E-E-D very plain and clear. I am going to write to the corporate office, but if they hire people like this manager, I don’t know how I will get through to them.

I do know that If you orded a steak from a restaurant and it was rotten, it would be ridiculous to think you would not be given a new steak or your money back. If you bought sour milk at the grocery store, they would take it back. Why is it different for Teavana?

Greed, plain and clear.

As a side note: The 8 ounces of tea, I am referring to did not come in a can (like others mentioned in previous posts). It came in a bag. I sure feel duped for spending $120 at this store.

32. ejs323 says:

TO csweeps:

There are a few reasons your tea may have been bad:
    1. B/c it was in a bag, it may have become stale, after 1 week.
    2. You may have steeped it too long, to the point where it gets bitter
    3. Incorrect water temperature
    4. Did not use the recommended sugar.

To Troy F:

Tins are never free, it is an optional way to store tea, though highly recommended. Everything is based on what the customer wants, so it is their fault if they don’t like it.

In general, we cannot return tea in most cases. Unless there was an issue with or the wrong tea was given. Or, if you blend more than one tea and later decide you dont want or just dont like it, it cannot be returned b/c you cant just pick which leaves to replace in the proper house tin.

I work at Teavana in Fl, and one lady had me blend four different teas totalling one pund, and later decided the $100 was too steep. I told her from the start that price on the tin reflects 2 oz. and she said thats fine, blah blah blah. After she said no thanks, I had to inform her that i can no longer sell this product and it is not able to go back properly- four teas is a special blend she created and i cant sift through it all and say,” yeah this is peach tranquility and this is sweet fruit garden.”

Many times, people dont listen or pay attention, and later decide its too much, but it can be put back if it is one tea in a bag or tin, if a blend, it cannot be returned or exchanged unless it was the wrong blend and not what was asked for. If you dont like, then your stuck with it b/c its already left the store and is not a plausible reason for us to take it back.

And if we do forget a discount at my store, we gladly return the item and ring it up again, not once have had a complaint with customer service in any way.

33. THX1138 says:

For csweeps:
    In regard to the tins… Teavana does not use any preservatives in the teas. The scents and flavours of the teas are all organic, herbal ingredients. The blend to which you are referring is probably Mate Vana and Rooibos Chai. The flavour comes from roasted Yerba Mate, cocoa beans, Madagascar vanilla beans, hibiscus, toasted almonds, mallow flowers, lemongrass, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves (as you can clearly read in your handy-dandy Tea Menu, or whatever). Without proper storage, these things will absorb the flavors of everything around them. For example, if you store the teas, in a bag, next to your Splenda packets, they will begin to taste like Splenda. I have never been shopping in a Teavana store when I was NOT told about the benefits of getting my teas in a tin. (I live in Atlanta where the company started, and have been a loyal customer for about 7 years.)
    Additionally, the water you use for your teas is just as crucial as the quality of the teas. If you microwave your water, for instance, it will taste slightly muddy. Only boiling the water will draw out the impurities of the source water wherever you live.
    I have gotten bad tea from Teavana before, as well. When I came back to the store to discuss it, I politely said that I think something might be wrong with the tea, but I wasn’t sure. I asked the salesclerk (Heather) to make a cup for me with the tea that I’d bought. She did and we both tasted it. She agreed that it was not right, and promptly exchanged it for me after a quick call to her Area Manager.
    A dash of politeness and the good old fashioned “It’s not you, it’s me” line can do wonders for customer satisfaction.

I’m just sayin’…

For Julia:
    That sucked. Clearly, you were just an unfortunate receipient of Bad Customer Service. I’ve been a Retail Manager for nearly 10 years, and have gotten similar reports from well-meaning customers in my day. It’s horrific, but it happens. An experienced manager will do what they can to accomodate the customer because our business is to get loyal customers and happy customers, and that’s two things every retail manager should be ALL ABOUT. You get a new employee with an unschooled manager, and you get screwed.
    The return policy they have in place (while it DOES need to be posted at the register) makes sense…if you LEAVE the store with the teas. If you had left the store, then the tea would be unsuitable for resale because any kind of (intentional or not) contamination could have happened. However, if you haven’t left the store at the time you ask for a recount, you should be ENTITLED to an exchange, refund, or (at least as far as person-to-person respect dictates) a solution/compromise that everyone can agree on.
    No matter what any manager might tell you, EVERY retail computer system can be tweaked to give the proper discount. If it can’t, a call can be made to somebody, somewhere, in that Great Elusive Corporate Office in the Sky that inefficient managers always refer to when they (quite simply) don’t know how to handle a customer service issue.
    I think your complaint is completely justifiable. Tea is very important to me because of what it has done for my health, but, really, it just shouldn’t get that deep! You should be able to go into a reputable shop and get what you need with no hassle. From my understanding, Teavana employees operate on a weird bonus system, so maybe they needed to make their percentage (or whatever they go by) and that’s why they were so unyeilding to you, or might I say hostile…?
    I’m sorry for your bad experience, but I’ve had nothing except kindness and consideration in all my years as a Teavana customer. (Except for an ill-advised almost-purchase at the Green Hills Mall in Nashville while I was on vacation. I was told that a concotion named “Liquid Gold” would help me lose weight. Keep in mind, I’m skinny as it is. As much as I’ve researched teas, I KNOW that this combination of teas wouldn’t help anyone lose weight. However, I was told that Jennifer, their Area Manager, said it would.)
    I’ll stick to the health benefit advice of Heather at the Atlanta-area Perimeter store. She knows her stuff! She helped me lose 35 pounds in less than 3 months about 5 years ago, and she’s helped me keep it off! She wasn’t selling me expensive teas, she was selling me teas that actually worked. This is why I am loyal and happy, and those are two things I am ALL ABOUT!

34. Teavana_man says:

I am a General Manager for a Teavana in Mass. And I can tell you while the Tea is high quality, the employees are not. I can not understand why Dwayne would not have refunded you. If you had just purchased it he should have had no problem refunding you. It is a health violation to return and product THAT HAS LEFT THE STORE. Please email tell me the location of the store you had the trouble and I can see that it doesnt happen again. But don’t be discouraged, now the employee training is a 3 week course. All employees should know how to ring up your ten percent discount for a pound, and your twenty percent discount for 5 pounds.

35. rtgirl77 says:

I’ve had nothing but great experiences at Teavana. I think that the OP’s experience is ridiculous and unfortunately, very common today in customer service situations. However, to the poster who tried to return the tea at Teavana after having it for several days, I must say, I agree with the store. I would say that it is entirely possible that you just didn’t like the tea. Sometimes I get nauseous from stuff. It doesn’t neccessarily mean that it is bad, only that it didn’t agree with YOU. That is not Teavana’s fault. I never buy any tea in larger than a 2 oz. quantity unless I know I like it.

36. dg11 says:

I, also had a bad experience with Teavana. My intention was to buy a small gift for someone who enjoys the tea from that store. I had multiple clerks approach me and try to sell me all kinds of gift packages. I got handed a ‘menu’. Besides the fact, the store is so dark it’s almost impossible to read anything, the menu lists prices but not quantity. I finally purchased some tea and, did not realize til I walked out of the store how much I had paid for it. Can’t see because of the darkness, can’t hear because they all mumble. I explained that I did not know how much I was spending and wanted to return the tea they had packed in an airtight tin. They refused of course due to their store policy. Not posted anywhere but on the receipt that you can’t read until you walk back into the daylight. Grocery stores take food items back for any number of reasons. They’re not going to put them back on the shelf but honor good customer service. Teavana’s unadvertised policy is unacceptable. I was very tempted to call my bank and see if I could dispute the charge but decided to just chalk it up as a loss due to a bad experience.

37. Anonymous says:

Had a BAD experience w Teavana myself!! I was told they ONLY had the 16oz. size and I don’t even think I received any form of discount…(need to check my receipt)?! I bought tea for myself and my best friend along with some other items in the shop and spent $165.00!!!! I then go on to thier website to discover that they DO HAVE a small and medium size!!!!
    I sent an email to customer service @ Teavana and received the automatic response that they had received my email and that someone would respond in no more than 48 hours!!!!
    That was over a week ago!!! No response to date!!!
    My understanding is that the employees work on commission(found this out from someone who applied there for a job)
    I think dishonesty is encouraged there… anything to get the sale and to sell more!!!! They appear to me that they are an unethical company who won’t last long especially in this economy!!! Sorry did not find ANY nirvana @ teavana!!!!!