Ernst & Young’s Super Awesome Motivational Video

This shlockfest is an internal motivational video produced for the German division of Ernst & Young.

It shows some kind of American cabaret singer leading a group of E&Y employees in a ballrooms singalong.

“Oh Happy Day” is repeated about 5,000 times. It is sometimes punctuated by “When Ernst & Young showed me a better way,” “show leadership” and, “working together.” In the background the employees sing and laugh, interspersed with black and white video of employees enjoying a mass dinner and executives carrying folders.

We’ve never felt happier to work at Ernst and Young! — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. timmus says:

What I want to ask these monolithic companies who come up with this stuff is: how, specifically, does this this build teamwork?

Interestingly for a few seconds when the video was starting I could have sworn a Full House episode was beginning.

2. Ben Popken says:

Philip writes:

“Vomit.”

3. Hoss says:

That was beautiful — we’ve reached an age where big business can laugh at themselves.

4. superchou says:

oh wow….pass the kool-ade…… awful awful awful…. and was it just me or was it 100%white? where are the minorities?

5. homerjay says:

Hoss, We can only hope that this video was the result of E&Y laughing at themselves, but somehow I SERIOUSLY doubt it.

They really could have salveged this thing by ending it before “Break it down, now” but as soon as that started, I felt myself start to vomit in my own mouth.

Oh, the whiteness of it all….

6. Hoss says:

homer — u mean 70+ nerds each clapping, swaying and stepping to a different beat wasn’t an attempt to play off a common stereotype? holy double entry…

*hoss and elmo in hysteria — hoss pissing himself, elmo on fire*

7. homerjay says:

I think they were genuinely expecting this to be to be awesome, because you know someone said “Hey, for the next sales conference, we should do a cool motivational video. Ya know, something to rally the troops.”

Then, several meetings later, this emerged. I’d be surprised if the people that put it together don’t realize how pathetic it is. Its probably not as motivating as they envisioned.

8. aubrey says:

Jesus, that’s the Energizer bunny of motivational videos.

9. martyz says:

I was having a “happy day” until I watched this video. I’d like to shoot myself now.

10. Chaoticfluffy says:

Ok that lead singer girl….I think they hired her by convincing her she’s leading a show gospel choir. Because she’s way too into this, while the employees at least look appropriately bored.

Also, agree with homerjay about the “break it down now.” I can’t imagine anyone actually using that phrase in seriousness. I will choose to believe this is an American-German cultural misstep, because otherwise I will be forced to cry and then go watch Sister Act and gape in awe at the fact that the choir in that is less frightening than this E&Y vid.

11. Mike Zillion says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t know what Ernst & Young does? (I mean, yeah, I’m off to Google right now so I can find out, but at the moment, I’m totally in the dark.)

But kudos to the singer. She made it seem as genuine as an SNL skit, and I mean that in a good way.

12. Why do companies think this stuff works? Thank god my company doesn’t.

13. Michael says:

Oh, you may be happy now, Ernst & Young. But will you still be singing that when AXA becomes champions of the world?