What To Do With A Broken iPod

Apple charges a bunch of money to repair an iPod, and that makes sense because they’d rather you just buy a new one than worry about fixing your old one. Thankfully, there are lots of ways to rescue your poor broken little ‘pod, and Sound Money Tips has listed a few of them. Broken iPod owners can try to fix the machine themselves with a do-it-yourself kit, or they can farm the work out to independent iPod repair places. Keep in mind, these places may suck, and you’ll probably only want to use one if your warranty is already expired. Sound Money Tips has ranked the top 3 iPod repair places; here’s their number one:

iPod ResQ - This site will buy all versions of broken iPods. You just have to fill in a form and they will send you back a purchase price (typically between $35 and $95). Hey, that’s money that can then be applied to the purchase of a new iPod. The site also claims that there is nothing they can’t fix.

They even have next day repair and data recovery. Because a broken iPod deserves a second chance. Sniff. Does anyone have any non-repair ideas for broken iPod fun? Hockey puck?—MEGHANN MARCO

What to do with a broken iPod [Sound Money Tips]

Comments

1. ElPresidente408 says:

I bought a new iPod case for my nano off eBay. Everything was going well until I accidentally clipped a corner of the LCD wire so now that doesn’t work. Just bought a new LCD for $22

2. If it’s just the screen like it often is, then use it as a portable hard drive.

3. ElizabethD says:

Has anyone besides my son sent an iPod to Apple for repair (under warranty) and been told that it isn’t covered because they believe the iPod was “tampered with”? And I’m talking about a 13-year-old kid who saved up all his Christmas and dog-walking money to buy the thing. Kind of left a sour (Apple) taste in our mouths.

4. superslug says:

My Ipod broke once and I tried to get it fixed at the store. The “geniuses” were mean to me. I wrote to corporate and whined about it. They sent me a new Ipod.

5. CMPalmer says:

My son’s iPod (a mini) was the only thing I ever bought an extended store replacement warranty for (from Best Buy). Sure enough, after a bit over a year, it got washed. I let it dry out, but it was DOA. I went to Best Buy and they didn’t carry that size anymore, so they gave me the next larger for free.

I didn’t do that for my daughter’s mini. After about a year and half, it wouldn’t hold a charge anymore. A local battery store had the right battery (Batteries Plus?) so I didn’t even have to wait for mail order. The batteries even come with two micro-screwdrivers for prying apart the glued case and removing the guts.

When Apple designed those things they were shooting for aesthetics and usability, not repairability…

6. MosH8ed says:

I don’t know about the mini, but about a year ago I bought (was scammed) an ipod from eBay. When I got it, the metal casing was so badly bent that I could actually remove it from the acrylic part with my bare hands and with a light touch.

While I was waiting for a PayPal refund (which did happen, 30 days after the fact) I poked around with it and found that repair would be rather simple: a main board, hard drive, a screen, battery, touch wheel, casing, some ribbon cable, perhaps some adhesive. If you ever built a PC then you wouldn’t have very much trouble tackling a project like this on your own if you knew what was wrong with it.

The hardest part, in my opinion, would be removing the case without damaging it. There are 3rd party vendors out there that offer tools to do this, but I would still advise caution because bending the case or scratching/chipping the acrylic would be very easy.

7. Sunbun says:

Although I’ve never broken an iPod, I’m all for smashing it into bits.

(e.g: http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=i… )

8. LatherRinseRepeat says:

Some car head units can control ipods with the appropriate connection kit. Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, and other manufacturers offer this option on their recent models. So if the LCD is the only thing broken on your ipod, then you can just use it as an alternative to a CD changer for your car. Just load it with music, connect, and leave it in your glove box.

9. OnoSideboard says:

Off topic, but I just had my DVD player crap out on me and was trying to figure out what to do with it (over a year old so no warranty, not worth paying for repairs, so I just bought a new one). Of course, the first thing I did was google “what should I do with a broken dvd player?” I was hoping to come across some charity I could donate it to or something, rather than chuck it in the garbage. Anyway, the very first google link was to the consumerist article on what Meghann should do with her broken Woot! DVD player. Ha!

10. emax4 says:

Depending on the model, it can be used as an external hard drive. Having said that, one might also use it as an external boot drive. If the drive is large enough (ex, not a 1GB nano) you should be able to still connect it to the main Mac, load the proper files to allow it to act as a boot CD, and if worse comes to worse on the main Mac, use the iPod as an external boot drive.

Also, you can also use it as a stowaway drive. I have some old hard drives stored away so that if anything happens to my mp3 backup DVDs, I can load the other hard drive and load my frequently played mp3s back on to the main hard drive.

If you’re feeling lucky, why not look for another broken iPod on ebay, one that doesn’t have the same parts broken? You can use the newer one as the donor, or vice-versa, and either give it a shot at repairing it yourself or have a friend try and fix it?

11. tekguru8 says:

All these ideas for fixing iPods are nice, but I prefer to take the destructive route on what to do with a bad iPod. Will it blend?

12. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

CMPalmer’s post reminded me of what happened with my iPods…

I bought a 1GB iPod shuffle when it first came out, from Best Buy, along with the extended warranty (I think 2 years, not sure…) Anyway, about a year go, Apple stopped making the 1GB shuffle, in preperation of the 1GB Nano release. At this point, nobody really knew why they stopped the production of that model Shuffle, but those familiar with Apple knew a replacment was on the way.

At this same time, my Shuffle would just lock up, stop playing music. I figure, might as well use my warranty. I go to Best Buy, and (as I expected) they didnt have the 1GB. They offered me the option of finding another 1GB mp3 player, but stated all my music was bought through iTunes. (Not really, but I was pushing for an upgrade, without actually stating so…).

The older gentelman who was working that department that day was extremely helpful, and found me a 2GB Nano open box, and did an even exchange for me. They also carried over my warranty. Very nice!

Gold star for Best Buy!

13. non-meat-stick says:

don’t ever say gold star for Best Buy, the man helping you was obviously delusional.

I’d say a table shim…

14. synergy says:

Oh man! That “Will it blend?” bit was good! And amazing how it just became fillings in no time!

15. Solo says:

Apple does not repair iPods, they just toss it in the giant pile of broken iPod and send you another refurbished unit. Much cheaper. Especially since they make you pay for it.

DIY is the way to go. Unless you’re like me, with fat brotwurst-like fingers, the eyesight of a mole and the most refined tool I own is a hammer. Not a good combo. Also, I don’t have an iPod. Too spensive.

16. planetdaddy says:

I have a number for Apple Customer Relations Escalated Service. 408 996-1010. I haven’t used it myself as I would not buy an Apple product, but if it works for your hazaa.