Consumers Have Spoken: OJ Book/TV Special Canceled

You bitched and moaned, and called FOX’s advertisers and you got your way. The OJ Simpson TV special and book have been canceled.

“I and senior management agree with the American public that this was an ill-considered project,” said Rupert Murdoch, News Corp. chairman. “We are sorry for any pain that his has caused the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson.”

You win.—MEGHANN MARCO (Thanks,Anthony!)

O.J. Simpson book, TV show canceled [CNN]

Comments

1. acambras says:

I’m not crying any tears for OJ.

I’m not pro-censorship, but I’m pleased to see that Rupert Murdoch et al have heard the outrage and decided not to glorify or enrich that smug criminal (even if he’s not a murderer, he’s still a wifebeater). This whole 3-ring circus was a cruel and twisted slap in the face to the families of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. I hope they can finally get some peace.

2. KevinQ says:

I’m usually a bit uncomfortable when public disapproval pressures any content provider to suspend offering something unpopular.

Usually.

In this case, not so much. If he were being “censored” based on an unpopular political or social opinion, then it would be a different matter. But with luck, this is the last time I’ll waste brain waives on that incident.

K

3. Dr. Eirik says:

This isn’t even censorship. This is a private company that decided to listen to outrage and not allow his show and book.

O.J. is still free to find another publisher and perhaps even buy time on the air. For that matter, with the internet, he could easily post his book for free and run a video on YouTube.

4. Amy Alkon says:

The best was Bill O’Reilly’s huffing and puffing that he’d have nothing to do with “any company that sponsors the TV program”…as if Fox News was in no way connected to Fox TV.

5. Falconfire says:

I think thats the thing, O’Reilly was threatening to leave Fox News

6. Triteon says:

O’Reilly never threatened to leave Fox News; not to mention he is under contract to stay and would have to pay a penalty to exit his contract.
    This also is not an issue of censorship, at least from the television side– this is a business decision. At last count, 9 Fox affiliates had opted out of airing the special and others were on their way; Sinclair Broadcast Group owns 19 Fox affiliates and had troubles deciding whether to air the two hours, mostly because of their activist attitude toward family-values. Lost revenue and viewership from upwards of 28 affiliates would cost the network more than the advertised $120k/spot could bring in (please trust me here– to go through the specifics of media math would be a post of it’s own) especially in light of a poor showing in both primetime and this year’s World Series.
    Fox is currently running a distant 4th in total ratings and the OJ special would not have pulled them up. Just as the last-minute swap of a House MD rerun boosted ratings over a faltering Justice last Monday, the reruns shown tonight will prove more profitable than (opinion warning) a killer’s confession, 11 years too late.

7. Chairman-Meow says:

I would love to see a reality-based program that puts OJ into a small, confined room with the moron who green-lighted his book/tv project. Watch the fun as OJ gradually loses his patience and the fox exec getting more nervous by the second.

Now that’s TV Gold!

8. Yay. A victory for taste.

9. IsenMike says:

There’s been so much publicity at this point that I can’t believe another publisher hasn’t already snatched the book up.

10. Triteon says:

TVWatch from mediapost.com released an opinion on OJ this morning. The books were printed and shipped already (which was news to me). OJ’s coming, so look out!