Zune: Slow to Start

ZDnet is reporting that Microsoft’s iPod-killa is experiencing a slow start. ZDnet was unable to find the mp3 player at most retailers, and experienced mixed reviews at a local Best Buy.

“Ralph Lindsey, the owner of a second-generation iPod who was browsing the Zune display, said he was not planning on making a purchase, but liked the Zune’s wider screen. Since he would want to watch videos on the player, however, he was “concerned” about the Zune’s available storage space. “I’m not sure 30 gigabytes will be enough,” he said.”

We personally still have an ancient-ass 10GB iPod, and are potentially in the market for a spiffy new device, but are also not impressed by the Zune. Except for the brown one. The brown one is cool. Damned if it doesn’t make us want a brown iPod.—MEGHANN MARCO

Zune moving at slow tempo [ZDNet]

Comments

1. Chairman-Meow says:

Love the pic.

“No Ralphie, you cannot have Zune. You’ll shoot your eye out!”

2. MS Throttling Supply Strategy + Apathy = VP Firing.

3. d0x says:

This is Microsofts 1st attempt at this really and honestly its not bad at all. The interface is really nice, the feature set is nice.

The only issues are storage, of course 30 gigs is more then enough for me. I dont see how it wouldnt be enough for just about anyone but…whatever

The other issue is size. Its not huge but it is bigger then an ipod, of course there is reason for it. The built in wifi is why its bigger but I would imagine by the 2nd generation of Zune it will be quite the little device.

My ipod is on its way out and honestly im not happy with it anyways. The battery life has always sucked and will always suck so if MS can fix the couple flaws in the Zune by the time im shopping for a new player they might get my money.

Also the fact that sooner or later it will hookup to the xbox 360 where you will also be able to buy songs and videos over Xbox Live is very attractive.

4. schvitzatura says:

Only Ben didn’t say “Fudge” about Zune. He said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the “F-dash-dash-dash” word!

Still, Zune might eventually qualify for “It’s a Major Award!” status.

Then again, in the heat of music player/download services battle, Robbie Bach may yet weave a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is will hang forever in space over Lake Sammamish.

5. Triteon says:

Remember folks: buy a version 1.0 of any MS product and you’re in for trouble.

6. AcilletaM says:

um, the other issues with the Zune are the crippling DRM and lack of major record label content.
    Well, here http://idolator.com/tunes/zune/

7. -Can’t use the Zune as a hard drive = Deal killer.
    -Bigger and heavier than an iPod = Deal killer.
    -Bigger screen at same 240×320 resolution as Video iPod = So what?
    -Can’t buy or load your own videos onto the Zune. Tell me again why it has a video feature?
    -Zune wraps your innocent .mp3s with mean record company DRM when you try to share them. Deal killer.
    -WiFi sharing…that you have to initiate by finding other Zune users and asking them to share songs with you. “Excuse me – I’m not creepy, but would you like to hear my favorite song?”
    -Can’t connect Zune to your iPod-enabled car.
    -Windows PCs Only. No Linux or Mac support.
    -Every Zune is a dollar in the pocket of music execs who think you’re a crook.

Yet I’m sure that within five years, Microsoft Office and Windows will have helped buy at least 20% of the iPod’s current marketshare. Look what Microsoft did with the XBox, after all.

8. Funklord says:

Funniest of all–the Zune is not compatible with Vista:

9. I think Cajun about sums it up there.

10. adamondi says:

That is probably the most concise list of my feelings about why the Zune is overrated, Cajun. Good on you.

I have decided that until MS can get a Zune out that is not just “comparable” to the iPod, it is not worth it for me to switch. They will have to put out something that is at least “superior” to the iPod. In other words, longer battery life, better software, better video support, a thinner size, more storage capacity. As it stands right now, I have absolutely no incentive to ditch my 5G iPod for a poo-colored Zune.

11. factotum says:

Love the pic, too. It’s almost that time of year when they run that movie non-stop along with “It’s a Wonderful Life”.

The Zune will be as successful as Sony’s MP3 player is, with it’s own cockamamie DRM schemes.

12. Sir Winston Thriller says:

No Ralphie, you cannot have a Zune for Christmas.
    You’ll shoot your eye out.

13. Triteon says:

FYI: NBC owns exclusive broadcast rights to It’s a Wonderful Life and is currently scheduled to air it twice– Dec 16 and Dec 24, 8-11p EST.

14. Trai_Dep says:

1,700 odd songs on mine, and imagining click-click-clicking the user interface to navigate through them would be enough to make me long for 8-track tapes.

Not to mention mandatory sign-up for three (3!!) different user accounts. Just to get the damn thing to play one lousy DRM-ed to Hell (and no backward compatibility w/ tunes you bought under Microsoft’s previous MP3 platform) song?

No thanks.