The Colonel Axes Trans Fats

According to the New York Times, KFC chicken will no longer contain trans fats.

“The war against trans fat registered a major victory yesterday as Kentucky Fried Chicken — whose main course is deep fried — announced that it would remove the artery-clogging substance from its fryers.

KFC said it would replace partially hydrogenated soybean oil with a type of soybean oil that does not contain trans fat at its 5,500 restaurants in the United States.”

Hydrogenated oils will remain in the biscuits, desserts and various other KFC products.

We think fast food peer pressure is so cute. McDonald’s has been talking about switching to non-hydrogenated oils since 2002, but hasn’t bothered to do it. KFC plans to have completed the switch by April. Could this mean that KFC’s customer base is more health conscious than McD’s?

[Photo: Brent and MariLynn]

Comments

1. Yep says:

Oooh, I hate the Colonel with his wee, beady eyes. And that smug look on his face…

Sorry. Had to be said.

2. bndocksnt says:

Wendy’s has already reduced trans-fat grams to zero on many menu items. Credit given where deserved. I will never accuse Wendy’s of being even remotely healthy, but I’m thinking most of their menu items will still be healthier than KFC’s.
    “Dad, why do you hate the Colonel?””Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!”

3. Ishmael says:

There’s a war on trans fat now? How many fronts are we going to fight on here in America? We’ve got the War on Drugs, the War of Terror, crime, poverty, hunger, cancer, and whatever is going on over in Iraq.

I’m tired of fighting. Give me some greasy chicken.

4. synergy says:

Nah. I think their customer base was dropping like flies too much and they had to do something for customer retention!

5. nick says:

Does the removal of trans fat (e.g. “taste”) from food remind anyone of the removal of MSG from [Chinese] food back in the ’90s?

The Seinfeld episode where Kramer gets pea pods comes to mind… :)

6. Cleophus says:

Now if only we could get Church’s to remove the secret ingredient in their chicken that makes black men sterile.

7. Mary Marsala with Fries says:

Love how they’re getting credit–even from you–for “Axing trans fat”, when all they’ve done is removed it from one of their ten or fifteen food products. Based on that, I’d say they did it for the good press, and succeeded.

-PD

8. gotbock says:

Too bad there’s little to no real evidence linking trans fats to long term, negative health effects.

Way to go Center for Science in the Public Interest! Good job suing corporations into doing your bidding!

9. Tonguetied says:

I imagine there will be a lot of people in corporate offices looking do see what this does to the bottom line. If it improves it you’ll see lots of companies jumping on the bandwagon whether the science supports it or not.

My question will be ‘How does it taste?’ If it turns out the chicken tastes worse I know that I won’t be going back.

I have done my best to avoicd McDonald’s fries every since they took the beef tallow out. These days their fries are bland, oversalted and not worthy to be eaten.

10. AcidReign says:

…..I’ll second that opinion on Mickey D’s fries. They are a waste of calories, now. I like KFC chicken, but really nothing else they serve. Particularly bad items include their cole slaw, biscuits and mashed potatoes.

……Of course, most restaurants sell dry, tasteless chicken nibblets and sandwiches, masked by copious application of pepper. KFC may go that route, figuring that chicken sells, even if it is crappy.