Wal-Marting Across America, Banned Pix Revealed

Walmart’s minions may have pulled down the photographers blog that was a blatant front for Edelman PR. But that doesn’t stop us or you from using the magic of Google cache to see what flackery filled the pages of Wal-Marting Across America.

Here’s the Google Cache of the entire site.

Viewers beware, following the links may induce vomiting.

Comments

1. timmus says:

How could have someone been PAID to do this PR project? I am just astounded that conceivably thousands of dollars went into a stunt like this that was pulled off so poorly. It’s like a train wreck.

(1) Good narratives are not supposed to be upbeat, upbeat, upbeat. The best travelogues are all about struggle and misfortune.

(2) I didn’t get any sense (except in the bios) that Jim and Laura are real people… everything takes place outside their sphere of existence. They’re like little vellum characters that just take on importance when the word “me” and “we” appears.

(3) For chrissake, PR material does not belong! “By shopping at (so and so) she eats healthy while stretching her food dollar.” Holy hell.

2. Triteon says:

This is exactly why “The Hub”, WM’s social-networking site, closed after only 3 months. (This type of rampant commercialism will kill MySpace as an online force as well– mark my words.)

3. joehowe64 says:

The main site is liking being at dinner party that slowly reveals itself to be full of Nazis.

You’re smiling at first, cause you’re sure its a gag, but then the slow sickening realization that they’re serious.

Kinda like a Jimmy Buffet concert.

4. Uurp says:

I shivered when I read it. I used to write stuff like this for Wal-Mart back when they featured Associate and customer sidebar “stories” in their monthly circulars. “Wal-Marting” brought back blue-funk memories of small towns across semirural America, cheap motels, oily food and unthinking enthusiasm for an America where an average guy could buy a John boat real cheap, and the wife could stock up and save on Hanes Her Way XXL.

They all said the same thing, these customers, when you’d ask them what they thought: “I love Wal-Mart!” But that wasn’t enough to fill out that sidebar. You’d have to dig and dig until you got the gold nugget, that thing that made an ordinary person…extraordinary®. And it was usually along the lines of– Customer loves Wal-Mart. Customer is a revered member of the local Lions Club. Lions Club gives used eyeglasses to the needy. Ergo, Wal-Mart makes it possible for half-blind Libyan children to see again. Thanks, Wal-Mart! We all love you!

5. meangene says:

Walmart is a criminal empire and the federal gov needs to do something about them. They will lie continously, break all laws,and try to buy their way out of any trouble that they might get in. their stock is almost worthless it is the same price it was 5 years ago and if u take in inflation that means its worth about half as much as it was 5 years ago. Apparently they were kicked out of germany and looks like the same may happen in India.Lee Scott needs to be fired and I dont think it will be much longer before he is. He has made mistake after mistake and cost the company millions. If i was a walton and I lost 5 billion dollars in one year I know damn well I would vote to fire him and the whole board of directors.

6. vonsplat says:

“Walmart is a criminal empire and the federal gov needs to do something about them. They will lie continously, break all laws,and try to buy their way out of any trouble that they might get in. their stock is almost worthless it is the same price it was 5 years ago and if u take in inflation that means its worth about half as much as it was 5 years ago.”

meangene, I like your post. Best of all: replace “Walmart” with “Microsoft”, and the above still works!