Fruity Cheerios, Sugar Sellout

General Mills venerable bee evidently hasn’t been busy enough, forcing the cereal making whore itself in back alleys and dimly lit parks, in the form of new FRUITY CHEERIOS.While consumers report it “tastes just like Fruit Loops,” the box boasts it contains 25% less sugars than the leading fruity cereals (10g vs 14g of sugar). In fact, roughly 1/7 of the box space seems devoted to extolling the product’s health benefits. Wethinks the cereal doth protest too much.

Comments

1. tonycontento says:

Yeah, but they are darned tasty. I will agree that a 4g per serving drop isn’t a lot. But, unless you’re trying to go low carb, every little bit keeps you healthier.

2. TPIRman says:

I’ve had these, and they actually deliver on the promise. (And I eat a lot of cereal, so I consider myself a pretty discriminating consumer on this one.) It opens up a nice niche between the basic breakfast cereals and the “Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs” end of things. I’m not one of those aesthetes who thinks a bowl of Cap’n Crunch is “sickeningly sweet” — I’m happy to wolf down a bowl of old-school sugar cereal. But the Fruity Cheerios satisfy the urge for a sweet cereal, and with a little less sugar to boot. Kind of like the Vitamin Water of cereals.

They do not, however, taste “exactly like Fruit Loops” as the linked blogger says. They are noticeably more mild.

3. Didn’t they make a version of Fruit Loops with less sugar already?

4. Jesse McBesse says:

Fruity Cheerios taste NOTHING like Froot Loops. Imagine pouring watered down fruit juice on regular cheerios instead of milk – that’s what they taste like (to me). Kind of gross, really.

5. imoutthere says:

Forget about these pseudo Fruit Loops; did someone mention Captain Crunch? Jesu Christo, make-a ganglia twitch! As soon as these cereal makers get religion and start using Splenda instead of suger, I’ll bet a shiny Susan B. their rapidly declining market shares take an about face. Less sugar, my ass, how ’bout NO sugar?

6. JMC says:

I totally dig these. I was a hard core junk cereal junkie as a kid, but as I approached this, my 30th year, my capacity for sugar plummeted. These provide a much needed middle ground between wholesome but dull Cheerios and the Froot Loops of the world. Two spoons up!

7. derek says:

I think they taste more like crunchier fruity pebbles but whatever they taste like, they are good.

I really don’t understand why people would want to eat Splenda or other things concocted in a lab instead of something a little more natural like sugar that’s been produced for 500 years. Not that these don’t have lots of other unnatural things in them.

8. I really don’t understand why people would want to eat Splenda or other things concocted in a lab instead of something a little more natural like sugar that’s been produced for 500 years.

Diabetes