The Party’s Over: Spinach is Coming Back

That’s right, you heard me. You’re not leaving the table until you finish your spinach.

Health officials are advising consumers that they should feel secure in buying spinach if they can confirm it was not grown in San Benito, Monterey or Santa Clara counties. An E. coli outbreak linked to spinach is thought to be receding, and children all over the country are crying softly into their pillows.

Growers have been working for several days to figure out a way to return the product to store shelves so that consumers can discern where it was grown and packaged.

“Over the weekend, the industry shared a very preliminary draft proposal,” A spokesperson said. “We are in conversations with the industry and the FDA regarding feedback on the ideas.”

In case you were wondering, that’s corporate speak for, “We have no fucking idea what we’re going to do. We have a conference room and a bunch of people and we’re going to argue about it, but… Let’s face it–we haven’t got a clue.”

Comments

1. AcidReign says:

…..I’ll be hitting Sam’s Club and Publix today. I’m not expecting to be able to find fresh spinach. I have subsisted on spring mix and frozen spinach for the past week! No one in my family got sick from the spring mix, BTW.

2. GenXCub says:

My issue is that I mostly get spinach at Sweet Tomatoes (A salad buffet place that Californians know as “Souplantation”). When I tried substituting Romaine in its place, it just wasn’t the same. Hopefully they’ll have more info soon.

3. Buga says:

I’ll fear Spinach for life now. It’s going to be years before I eat yummy delicious Spinach Cheese Dip again. It’s really heartbreaking. =[

4. bxurbanlegend says:

So when can we expect the next (insert vegetable here) famine?

5. Magister says:

I have always hated that evil spinach. I felt a lot of glee when I forwarded the original reports on this deadly leaf to my mom. I said ‘I TOLD YOU !!!!’

6. exkon says:

I can’t wait, I love spinach!

7. Ben says:

I’m standing by with a whole mess of “This spinach is NOT from the tainted counties” stickers that grocers can affix to, well, damn near anything.

Oh, yes, that should do it.

8. GenXCub says:

I don’t understand the “I won’t eat spinach again” mentality. e. Coli breaks out many times a year from many sources. I remember Jack In The Box had an e. Coli issue several years back, they instituted more safeguards and I don’t think it has hurt their business at all, and I don’t know of people saying they won’t eat there (because of the e. coli anyways). I mean, you can get it from improperly wiping after “dropping the kids off at the pool” then not washing your hands really well. Does this mean you’ll be afraid to wipe for the rest of your life?

9. Falconfire says:

This was actually a huge deal in New Jersey as one of the big crops behind corn and tomatos in Jersey is surprisingly enough, Spinach, and the farmers where getting ticked off as hell that the government knew almost a week ago that New Jersey spinach was not infected but was being held off the market anyway.

10. InsaneNewman says:

GenXCub:

In regards to Jack in the Box, the 1993 e.coli scare had a much more profound impact on their business… they closed all of thier COlorado locations due to public backlash, and instituted very costly safeguards (which I’m sure have impacted thier bottom line).

11. EmilyBeth says:

Don’t stock up yet: (9/27/06)

Health Officials Discover Tainted Spinach in Pa.

by KYW’s Lynne Adkins

Pennsylvania health officials have discovered a bag of baby spinach linked to the nationwide e-coli outbreak.

This is the third bag linked to the same strain of e-coli that has killed one person and sickened more than 175 people. The first bag was found in New Mexico, another bag in Utah.

Troy Thompson, spokesman for the Pennsylvania Department of Health, says this discovery helps health officials pinpoint the cause and location of contamination and move the investigation forward:

“We look for new cases we look for spinach samples to help better pinpoint this public health investigation and get an idea of its true impact.”

He says the bag was given to health officials by a resident of western Pennsylvania who became ill after eating from the Dole brand of baby spinach. Officials have traced the tainted product to nine farms located in three California counties.