Mother’s Day Dining Gone Awry

Some restaurants are real mother fuc****.

According to this letter sent to the SF Gate Food critic, one family got their reservation jacked at a fine seafood restaurant and was then treated less than stellar by the management. Not that they took this sitting down.

“The front of the house manager arrived in less than a minute. He said that another party, pointing to a nearby booth, had taken the reservation. Apparently when this other party of four arrived a few minutes earlier, one women leaned over the podium, found a listing for a party of four, and declared herself that party.

“OK,” I said, “Stuff happens in life. We’ll just take the next available table if that’s all right.”

“Not quite all right” he answered, “You need to wait until a vacancy occurs in the reservation list. As it is Mother’s Day, and we have only so many tables available, it may be an hour or so.”

The letter goes on to describe the various tactics and regulations that ensued, including lies, c-notes and water being poured over people’s heads. It all seems a bit like a preposterous fantasy but perhaps that’s the state of customer service these days!

Take Your Table and Shove It!” [Between Meals] (Thanks to Matt!)

Comments

1. Falconfire says:

This right here, is why I never eat out at expensive resturaunts. I get treated like shit 5 days out of the week as it is, I have no desire to get treated like a idiot by some schmuck manager who makes way more than I do being a asshole and snotty to people who enjoy being treated like dirt.

2. etinterrapax says:

I’m not disinclined to believe him, but I do wish he’d name the restaurant. Otherwise, what use making this information public? What can we do? If letters to corporate aren’t helping, at least give them some bad word-of-mouth.

3. Drinker Nisti says:

It sounds too extraordinary to be true. If that happened to me, I’d be screaming the restaurant’s name from every rooftop. It’s not libel if it actually happened.

4. Kornkob says:

Given that this story is true as written…

While the store manager mishandled the problem initially, had one of my customers threatened to assault another customer, I would have called the police and had them removed.

5. Falconfire says:

Thats not the resturant way though. My girlfriend was physically assulted BY a diner, and she almost lost her job without lifting a finger (they threw a pager at her head then verbaly attacked her when she told them they couldnt seat them yet, after they had barged through 5 other people ahead of them)

The one thing these guys never want to do is make a scene, because more people will walk out of a resturant if the police show up, then the place could possibly be hurt by treating someone special.

Im very inclined to beleive this story, because I have seen MUCH worse from when my girlfriend worked at Mac Grill. I laugh when I see the movie Waiting, not because its over the top, but because it was so spot on with what actually happens in those places.

6. Das Ubergeek says:

Anyone who’s ever lived or worked in the East Bay (which is Pig Latin for “beast”, by the way) knows that there’s only one white-tablecloth seafood restaurant specialising in swordfish… and as our friends on Chowhound.com said, people who know food don’t go to Spenger’s.

7. Kornkob says:

Perhaps another example of regional differences. I’ve worked in such places here and the one thing that is not tolerated is physically attacking the staff or other customers.

Personally I wouldn’t work for an employer who allowed someone to attack me or my customers. In fact, I’m pretty sure that even a cracker jack lawer could make a solid ‘maintenence of a hostile work enviornment’ case agaisnt such an employer.