Deals, Mourned

Way back in the olde tyme of March 1, 2006, our Morning Deals Roundup led many of our readers to lie to Microsoft in hopes of receiving a free USB drive.

Instead of receiving the freebie 6-8 weeks later, they got a message 12 weeks later that Bill Gates had run out of USB drives.

Would-be flashers received an email today informing, “Supply is depleted at this time, so we encourage you to please utilize the online alternative today.” What? An online version of a flash drive? No, the online alternative they suggest is to purchase Windows licenses.

A strange bait and switch, almost, a mystery…which is a mystery unto itself because the guiding drive of the campaign was, “Some things will always be a mystery, Windows Licensing doesn’t have to be.”

Apprently it chooses to be so anyway all on its lonesome. (Thanks to Jpa and Jim!)

Comments

1. CTSLICK says:

Hah! I just got my “too late their all gone” email too. Looking back on this I realize they probably had a fairly small quantity available to begin with. I know, I know…it was going to be free but I still feel a little jilted by the whole thing.

2. kerry says:

So sad — I actually opted not to purchase inexpensive flash drives at a couple points during the last 12 weeks thinking “oh, my free one from MS should be here any day now.” Dammit!

3. any such name says:

as if they couldn’t afford 100,000 drives to send to us all. please.

4. CTSLICK says:

For that matter, who actually got one? Time for a Consumerist follow up poll?

5. Isn’t that false advertising? I mean…did it say supplies are limited anywhere?

6. thrillhouse says:

false advertising? no, there really is 10 hotdogs per pack vs. 8 buns per pack.

it does seem as tho you’d be hard pressed to find someone who actually got one.

7. matto says:

I’m sure they’ll be happy to abuse the contact and other information we gave them in exchange for the drive, however.

What a shafty bait-and-switch. I’m never buying MS again!