Nutrition Data At Quiznos, Or Lack There Of…

Okay, we’re bad consumers. Ben and I are both pretty lithe and any excess calories that we absorb are generally burned off by a healthy diet of chain smoking and beer drinking. So while we both have eaten at Quiznos from time to time, we never even bothered to check whether or not they had nutritional information up for their sandwiches.

As it turns out, though, they don’t, and the U.S. Food Policy blog spends a healthy amount of time taking them to task for it. Not having most of the nutritional information is bad enough, but it’s the nutritional information that Quiznos does present that is the real problem. It turns out that they only have readily available nutritional information for the sandwiches they market as healthy choices — asking for the content, calories and saturated fats of everything else Quiznos sells just gets you the run-around.

As Fast Food News says, it doesn’t make any sense not to release this information. Most people won’t care as long as it tastes good, but those who are health conscience (or just strong consumerists) will be more likely to eat at Quiznos, not less, given full transparency.

The U.S. Food Policy blog is especially irked by this lack of information given a recent Quiznos sandwich called the Steakhouse Beef Dip Sub. Sounds like a delicious artery burster, but it was promoted by the federal government’s Beef Checkoff Board. The hypocrisy is stunning, although perhaps unsurprising: a government body we trust to regulate what we put into our bodies won’t actually tell us what’s in a sandwich they’re endorsing.

Quiznos Nutrition Facts Non-Disclosure [U.S. Food Policy Blog]
Still No Nutrition Data From Quiznos [Fast Food News]

Comments

1. DeeJayQueue says:

I thought the law that made it so they had to put the nutrition info boxes on everything you buy at the market also made it so that fast fooderys had to provide it on demand for their menus. Even McDonalds has them if you ask for it.

2. KevinQ says:

I thought the Beef Checkoff simply meant that the food in question contained actual beef. In fact, if I see the Beef Checkoff, I generally consider that whatever foodstuff is being advertised is a heart attack waiting to happen. And probably pretty damn tasty.

K

3. The Unicorn says:

It’s really funny you posted abou this, because I just discovered the same thing (and was annoyed by it) during my “What should I have for lunch that I won’t have to feel terribly guilty about” internet searching the other day.

Jimmy John’s, by contrast, has the MOST AWESOME NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION EVER. You can take any menu item, & then add & subtract ingredients according to your own whims, & the nutritional content updates accordingly. It’s pretty awesome, & definitely a great way to waste a good half-hour on any day in which you’re planning on having Jimmy John’s for lunch.

Their site’s a little flash-centric for my taste overall, but they really do a great job of telling you what you’re eating.

4. Paul D says:

Qdoba does the same thing. I tried to look up nutritional information for their stuff so I could figure points for Weight Watchers, and I found almost nothing.

5. The Unicorn says:

Speaking of Weight Watchers, nutritional information, and ill-advised website design, there’s a page called Dottie’s Weight Loss Zone that has the fat/calorie info & WW points for practically ANY restaurant you can think of.

The site itself looks like someone’s parody of a bad webpage circa 1992, but the info is impressive.

You can find out about Quizno’s here: http://www.dwlz.com/Restaurants/quiznos.html

And all the other restaurants she has are here:

If you’re calorie-conscious, and love Comic Sans, this is the website for you!

6. okilloran says:

I’m a little bit ticked off that I joined Weight Watchers, then bought their Restaurant Guide which contains almost NONE of the restaurants that I typically patron (OK, I hate to admit it, but I do eat out a lot and not always at the healthiest places!) It’s SO annoying,though…I paid good money for that stupid book and it’s got barely anything in it. No Qdoba, no Quizno’s, no P F Chang’s, no Outback Steakhouse, no Ruby Tuesday, and on and on. COME ON, people! Don’t sell this as a Restaurant Guide, let us know that it’s a limited listing. I suppose I should have been a better consumer and acutally looked at the so-called “guide” prior to purchasing, but, well, I didn’t. Anyway, NOW I am trying to find out the points value for 1/2 of a small Quizno’s Tuna Sub – which they DO sell, by the way. NOT everyone eats red meat and poultry. This has happened on the “good” website WW points guides, too – people tend to list the most commonly purchased items. Any advice? Other than stop buying a calorie-busting tuna sub from Quizno’s? I have to have one from time to time…! :)

P.S. And if you’re wondering what I eat at Outback Steakhouse, they have a great salad and baked sweet potato and also have grilled tuna or salmon.

7. nelle4ug says:

They now have nutritional information, but its only on their small sandwich.