Tom Richardson

HP And Sony Recall Laptop Batteries Due To Possible Overheating And Fires

Lithium-ion batteries are part of items that we use every day and we hardly think about them, but they can cause explosions and fires if they’re prone to overheating. That’s the case for batteries that are part of laptop computers sold in the last few years by HP and by Sony, and now those batteries have been recalled. [More]

Target Recalls Valentine’s Day-Themed Mugs That Pose Fire Hazard

Imagine one morning sitting down to a nice cup of coffee in your cutesy mug only to realize its only lukewarm. No worries, the label on the cup says it’s microwave safe… except that it isn’t, and the minute minute you hit “start,” sparks start to fly. That’s the case for 12,300 Valentine’s Day-themed mugs sold by Target now being recalled for posing a fire risk. The retailer says the cups, which were mislabeled as microwave-safe, have been linked to three reports of sparks during microwaving. Customers should stop using the cups immediately and return them for a refund. [CPSC]

Hoverboard Catches Fire At Texas Mall, Federal Safety Officials Record 22 Explosions In 17 States

Hoverboard Catches Fire At Texas Mall, Federal Safety Officials Record 22 Explosions In 17 States

Even as the holidays wind down, so-called “hoverboards” continue to be a hot ticket at retailers and shopping malls around the country. One such busy mall happened to be in Texas where a self-balancing scooter caught fire, marking it just one of dozens of fires reported to federal safety officials in recent months.  [More]

(Lanoka Harbor Fire Station 61)

Yet Another “Hoverboard” Catches Fire While Charging, Singes Carpet In New Jersey Home

As expected, so-called “hoverboards” – that don’t actually hover at all – were a hot commodity under the Christmas tree. But for one New Jersey family, the holiday gift quickly turned from exciting new device to dangerous fire-starter after it burst into flames while charging.  [More]

CPSC Intensifies Investigation Into Exploding “Hoverboards,” USPS Restricts Shipments

CPSC Intensifies Investigation Into Exploding “Hoverboards,” USPS Restricts Shipments

One of the holiday’s hottest gifts has gotten a bit too hot, literally. Following claims that so-called “hoverboard” scooters have caught fire while charging, retailers have pulled the popular devices to ensure they’re safe. In the meantime, the country’s top product safety regulator says his agency is working “non-stop” to find the root cause for the fire hazards linked to the self-balancing scooters.  [More]

July Recall Roundup: Of Course Kids Are Going To Chew On Their Strollers

July Recall Roundup: Of Course Kids Are Going To Chew On Their Strollers

In this month’s recall roundup, a stroller wasn’t designed to be chewed on, a fish tank heater might cook your fish instead of keeping them comfortable, and a lawn mower may fling grass clippings at the person operating the vehicle. It’s a dangerous world out there, apparently. [More]

December Recall Roundup: Tablets Of Fire

December Recall Roundup: Tablets Of Fire

In this month’s Recall Roundup, wheels break, fire bowls turn into fiery explosions, and chargers and refrigerators alike might overheat and catch fire. It’s a dangerous world: that’s why we bring you these recall listings.

[More]

Think Twice Before Using Dryer Sheets In Your Own Dryer

Think Twice Before Using Dryer Sheets In Your Own Dryer

That crisp, fresh smell on your laundry and lack of static cling provided by dryer sheets apparently comes at a price. Many online sources, including a Snopes message board, are filled with authorities who say dryer sheets can clog your lint filter, potentially creating a fire hazard. [More]

Recall Roundup – Wash Your Clothes With Flames Edition

Psyclone Essentials Wii 4-Dock Battery Recharge Stations – Overheats; risk of fire and burn hazards

Recall Roundup – Pretty Much Everything Is Catching Fire

The big news in recalls this week was continuing recalls of Simplicity drop-side cribs. Since the company is no longer in business, in order to get the crib away from your children, return it to the retailer where it was purchased. Also, check your home for other problematic recalled Simplicity products.

HP And Compaq Laptop Computer Batteries Recalled Due To Fire Hazard

HP And Compaq Laptop Computer Batteries Recalled Due To Fire Hazard

HP announced today that laptop computer batteries have been recalled as a fire hazard due to risk of overheating. Affected models are HP Pavilion, Compaq Presario, HP, and HP Compaq computers sold from about August 2007 to March 2008. Find out if your computer is affected and get a replacement battery at HP’s site.

GE Recalls 92,000 Microwave Oven Combos

GE Recalls 92,000 Microwave Oven Combos

GE is recalling 92,000 microwave/oven combos because “door switch in the microwave oven can overheat and ignite plastic components in the control area, posing a fire hazard to consumers.” The CPSC knows of 35 fires caused by the overheating door switch, one of which set fire to the adjacent kitchen cabinets. Whoops.

2.5 Million GE Potentially Flammable Dishwashers Recalled

2.5 Million GE Potentially Flammable Dishwashers Recalled

A plague of burning dishwashers sounds like something that would happen after the 6th seal has been opened, but no. It’s real and it’s happening now. You may have a dishwasher in your very home that is, at this very second, thinking about lighting itself on fire. From the CPSC:

GE has received 191 reports of overheated wiring including 56 reports of property damage. There were 12 reports of fires that escaped the dishwasher. Fire damage was limited to the dishwasher or the adjacent area. No injuries have been reported.

This recall involves a huge number of dishwashers, so you’ll want to check this list to see if your GE dishwasher is part of the recall. If it is: “stop using the recalled dishwashers and contact General Electric for a free repair, a $150 rebate towards the purchase of a new GE dishwasher, or a $300 rebate towards the purchase of a new GE Profile or GE Monogram dishwasher.”