Samsung Phone Reportedly Explodes In Hand Of 6-Year-Old

UPDATE: The NY Post has revised — without any mention of a correction — its original story to now clarify that the phone involved in this incident was not a Note 7, but apparently a lesser-known Samsung Galaxy phone, the Core Prime. We have corrected the story below to reflect this important change.

===-
The day after both Samsung and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission asked owners of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones to power the devices down and stop using them, a young boy from Brooklyn was taken to the hospital after his family says a different Samsung phone “exploded” in his hand.

According to the NY Post, the 6-year-old boy’s grandmother says the youngster was watching videos on the Note 7 on Saturday when “the battery exploded,” setting off her smoke alarms.

The family called 911 and the child was taken to a local hospital where the Post says he was treated for burns.

“He is home now,” says the grandmother. “He doesn’t want to see or go near any phones. He’s been crying to his mother.”

The Post story originally referred to the device in this incident as a Note 7, but has since revised the text to reflect that it was a Core Prime, a phone that has not been recalled.