Maybe my standards are low, but I do expect my home appliances not to explode. When that happened to one Missouri couple, they called up Samsung for help. Since the couple had owned the machine for 14 months, the warranty was up and Samsung didn’t particularly care. They had spent $1000 on the machine, and expected more from Samsung.
This story does have a happy ending, but only because local news station KMOV got involved. Samsung will haul away and replace the couple’s pricey matching washer/dryer set.
The company’s theory as to what happened? There may have been an off-balance load in the machine, which caused the violent “explosion” as the internal parts hurled around at a very high speed. That’s possible, but conveniently puts the blame on consumers.
Another customer had the same thing happen to her washer, which was a lot newer and still under warranty. That didn’t make the experience any less scary, and she made a YouTube video showing the aftermath.