On this poster, “Facebook” should really be a fill-in-the blank option. I can think of several other instances where this is true. If you’re not paying for a service online, then you’re what’s being sold to advertisers and marketers, either in the form of ads being served, your data being sold, or both. So, in the case of the Facebook redesign backlash, that was the pig complaining about the barn getting a paint job and a new rope swing.
How "Free" Really Works Online
By Ben Popken September 29, 2011
- brought to you by the letter $ Facebook Is Now Selling Your Web-Browsing Data To Advertisers
- freedom isn't free OKCupid Co-Founder: You’re Trading Privacy For Free Use Of Facebook & Other Sites
- do tell Facebook Can Now ID What You’re Listening To Or Watching On TV
- it's aliiiiiive Facebook Is Testing 7-Second Video Profile Pictures
- what a relief Facebook Adds Offline News Feed To Mobile App So You’ll Never Miss Another Baby Photo, Gym Status Again