1 Dead, 9 Sick From Fumes Inside A McDonald's

An 80-year old woman is dead and nine are sick after succumbing to fumes emanating from a Georgia McDonald’s bathroom.

All ten were taken to the hospital for treatment. Fire Chief Wade Simmons told Atlanta Journal Constitution that the firefighters smelled a strange odor as people were taken out of the McDonald’s and some said they had a hard time breathing.

The cause of the fumes could not be determined. Perhaps the ammonia in the burgers combined with the bleach on the counters?

The Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that authorities suspect cleaning chemicals used in the restroom are to blame.

“The safety of our customers and employees is always a priority,” McDonald’s said in a statement. “We wish everyone involved a speedy recovery.”

Fumes at Ga. McDonald’s send 10 to hospital [Atlanta-Journal Constitution] (Thanks to GitEmSteveDave!)

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.