It’s invisible to you but each time you swipe your credit card, a fee fairy gets its wings. An interchange fee fairy, to be exact. How does it work? This chart from the Government Accountability Office attempts to shed some light on the murky world of merchant processing fees. Did you know that over the past 10 years, while the technological costs of processing transactions has gone down, interchange fees have more than doubled? A cost that then gets passed on to you in the form of higher prices.
The Hidden Fee That Happens Every Time You Swipe Your Credit Card
By Ben Popken February 26, 2010
- swipe out Retailers Tell Fed: Debit Card Swipe Fees Are Still Too Dang High
- dude where's my pin? Home Depot Accuses Visa, MasterCard Of Colluding On “Defective” Credit Cards
- holdouts Aldi Will Accept Credit Cards Nationwide Starting Today
- zip your lip New York AG: Zipcar Charged Damage Fees Without Giving Drivers A Chance To Dispute
- bill guides The Consumerist Guide To Understanding Your AT&T U-verse Bill