United has just announced a program where you can pay $250 to have their normal checked baggage fees waived for a year. The plan covers 2 bags per passenger, up to 8 passengers “traveling under the same confirmation number.” Current fees are $20 for the first bag and $30 for the second, so if you travel solo a lot and always carry two bags you’ll have to make six trips before you enjoy any savings. On the other hand, if you’ve got a big family trip planned in the next year, this may be a way to shave a little off the fee gouging. But only if you’re stuck with United; BestFares.com notes that “SouthWest offers 2 free bags for free and JetBlue offers the 1st bag free.”
United Lets You Pre-Pay Your Baggage Fees
By cwalters October 6, 2009
- No Holiday Cheer Here Airlines Once Again Introducing Baggage Surcharges For Holiday Travelers
- A reprieve from Fees and Lines? Senators Tell Airlines: Drop Checked Bag Fees To Speed Up Airport Security
- giving 'em a break Spirit Airlines Drops Some Baggage Fees For Active Duty Military Personnel
- the land of the fee New Bill Aims To Limit “Ridiculous” Airline Fees For Checked Bags, Cancellations
- tracking the impact Does Southwest’s “Bags Fly Free” Policy Hurt On-Time Performance?