Before buying from potentially unscrupulous merchants, call up your credit card company and ask for a virtual credit card number. The disposable numbers expire after a single use, preventing merchants from signing you up for added or recurring charges. Virtual numbers are available to Citi, Discover, PayPal, and Bank of America customers.
Buy Safely Online With Virtual Credit Cards
By consumeristcarey July 27, 2009
More From Consumerist
- Tap Or Scan Here To Pay: Know Your Mobile Payment Apps
- Credit Card Forgers Going On One Last Crime Spree While Magnetic Stripe Readers Are Still Prevalent
- Can A Cashier Make Me Read My 3-Digit Credit Card Code In Front Of Other Shoppers?
- Payment Information From Zoo Gift Shops Breached, May Include Names And CVVs
- Square Trying To Help Small Businesses Meet October Deadline For New Chip & PIN Credit Cards