The Washington Post writes that a national sales tax, known in other countries as a value-added tax or VAT, is getting some attention in DC, even among Democrats, who traditionally don’t favor regressive taxing schemes. The article notes some pros and cons about a VAT, as well as the small problem that imposing a 25% sales tax on everything would be political suicide.
A Value-Added Tax In America? What?
By alexchasick May 27, 2009
- a taxing situation Beverage Industry Takes Philadelphia To Court Over Soda Tax
- trying too hard Appeals Court Ruling Means Tax-Preparers Will Continue To Go Largely Unregulated
- the tax effect In States With Amazon Sales Tax, People Spend Less On Amazon
- a taxing situation Congress Looking At New, “Simplified” Way For States To Collect Online Sales Tax
- a taxing situation Lawsuit: New York Shouldn’t Charge Sales Tax On Tampons