The Washington Post writes that a national sales tax, known in other countries as a value-added tax or VAT, is getting some attention in DC, even among Democrats, who traditionally don’t favor regressive taxing schemes. The article notes some pros and cons about a VAT, as well as the small problem that imposing a 25% sales tax on everything would be political suicide.
A Value-Added Tax In America? What?
By alexchasick May 27, 2009
More From Consumerist
- Congress Looking At New, “Simplified” Way For States To Collect Online Sales Tax
- States Hungry For Online Sales Tax Looking At Challenge To South Dakota Law
- Lawsuit: New York Shouldn’t Charge Sales Tax On Tampons
- Illinois Could Be Next State To Do Away With “Pink Tax” On Feminine Hygiene Products
- Back-To-School Sales Tax Holidays Are Going Out Of Style