The Washington Post writes that a national sales tax, known in other countries as a value-added tax or VAT, is getting some attention in DC, even among Democrats, who traditionally don’t favor regressive taxing schemes. The article notes some pros and cons about a VAT, as well as the small problem that imposing a 25% sales tax on everything would be political suicide.
A Value-Added Tax In America? What?
By alexchasick May 27, 2009
- a taxing situation Beverage Industry Takes Philadelphia To Court Over Soda Tax
- drink up State Lawmakers Push Back Against Philadelphia Soda Tax
- a taxing situation Lawsuit: New York Shouldn’t Charge Sales Tax On Tampons
- beer goggles Lawsuit Claims Walmart’s Private Label Craft Beer Is “Wholesale Fiction”
- sugary taxes Soon-To-Be Proposed Sugary Drink Tax In Seattle Won’t Apply To Starbucks