The Washington Post writes that a national sales tax, known in other countries as a value-added tax or VAT, is getting some attention in DC, even among Democrats, who traditionally don’t favor regressive taxing schemes. The article notes some pros and cons about a VAT, as well as the small problem that imposing a 25% sales tax on everything would be political suicide.
A Value-Added Tax In America? What?
By alexchasick May 27, 2009
- a taxing situation Beverage Industry Takes Philadelphia To Court Over Soda Tax
- the tax effect In States With Amazon Sales Tax, People Spend Less On Amazon
- drink up State Lawmakers Push Back Against Philadelphia Soda Tax
- a taxing situation Congress Looking At New, “Simplified” Way For States To Collect Online Sales Tax
- sugary taxes Soon-To-Be Proposed Sugary Drink Tax In Seattle Won’t Apply To Starbucks