I’ve got a new article in Reader’s Digest about 9 scams that exploit national trends and how to avoid them. Flimflammers use the same basic scams over and over again, they just use the strips newspaper headlines to layer on like papermache on their chickenwire schemes. My article points out nine recent iterations and how to avoid them. Thanks to all the readers who sent in their stories to help out with the article. Loyal blog readers will enjoy that we splashed longstanding Consumerist nemesis IDT Energy‘s skanky sales practices in national print. Gotcha, suckers.
Ben Popken's "Beat The Cheat" Reader's Digest Article Online
By Ben Popken December 9, 2008
- No Holiday Cheer Here Beware: Delivery Scams Are The Grinch Of The Holiday Season
- Be Aware Maybe Don’t Answer Calls From These Area Codes If You Don’t Want To Be Scammed
- bank lobby Card Skimmers Still Found On Bank Lobby Card Readers
- the more you know 4 Scams You Should Always Be Aware Of
- scamalamadingdong Scammers Are Taking More Money With Fake Boss Wire Transfer Schemes