I’ve got a new article in Reader’s Digest about 9 scams that exploit national trends and how to avoid them. Flimflammers use the same basic scams over and over again, they just use the strips newspaper headlines to layer on like papermache on their chickenwire schemes. My article points out nine recent iterations and how to avoid them. Thanks to all the readers who sent in their stories to help out with the article. Loyal blog readers will enjoy that we splashed longstanding Consumerist nemesis IDT Energy‘s skanky sales practices in national print. Gotcha, suckers.
Ben Popken's "Beat The Cheat" Reader's Digest Article Online
By Ben Popken December 9, 2008
- No Holiday Cheer Here Beware: Delivery Scams Are The Grinch Of The Holiday Season
- don't be taken in As Floods Ravage Louisiana, Here’s How To Avoid Home Repair & Charity Scams
- the morning after How To Avoid Scams Aiming To Cash In On Hurricane Matthew Damage
- clever schemes How Fraudsters Can Convert Stolen Goods Into Cash Through Bargain-Hunters
- look who's calling Feds Shut Down Florida-Based Debt-Relief Robocall Scammers