We received a tip today that Bank of America supposedly plans to close nearly all of its customers’ credit cards on October 1st, but the only source we can find for this rumor is a single post at iReport.com, CNN’s public journalism free-for-all. Everything else online that mentions this is traced back to that one short post. So, until we find out more, we’re going to say this one is bunk—and a great example of how wild rumors can pop up during desperate times. (Thanks to Joseph!)
When Things Get Crazy, Rumors Get Even Crazier
By cwalters September 30, 2008
- where credit is due Banks Mail Out Pre-Activated Credit Cards, Don’t See The Problem
- thanks but no Citi Is Suing AT&T Over The Word “Thanks”
- Who Got Hacked? Card Reissued Because Of A Breach? Good Luck Finding Out Where The Hack Happened
- virtual wallets Tap Or Scan Here To Pay: Know Your Mobile Payment Apps
- is anyone listening to me Who Am I Supposed To Call When My Credit Card Info Is Stolen?