The guys who brought you “The Ghetto Big Mac” have a new video up about the the hilarious and not-so-hilarious realities behind check chasing joints (with guest appearance by yours truly, Ben Popken). Besides the part where Internet Celebrities Rafi and Dallas try to cash an oversized check at one of these places, what I like best about this video is that it actually makes a sound case for check cashing places at times. If there’s no banks around in a poor neighborhood, what other choice do you have? Especially when banks have constructed all sorts of fees to discourage patronage by lower-income customers. Like Dallas says in the vid, “You really know you’ve made it when you move from check cashing fees to ATM fees.”
"Checkmate," The Straight Dope On Check Cashing Joints (Cameo By Ben Popken)
By Ben Popken May 21, 2008
- banking the unbanked Banks Attract New Customers, New Fee Income With Check-Cashing Services
- tax refunds Walmart Lets People Pick Up Tax Refunds In Cash In Stores
- Banking Bonanza Banks Are Cashing In With Brand-Name Prepaid Debit Cards
- postal payday Can Postal Service Stay Alive By Cashing Checks & Selling Prepaid Debit Cards?
- stay alert Couple Accused Of Pulling “Shoulder Surfing” Scam To Cash $400K In Counterfeit Checks At Walmart