Sorry, light cigarette smokers! The Second Circuit denied you class-action status in your suit against the tobacco companies. A district court judge had held that “virtually all Americans who had purchased cigarettes labeled as ‘light'” could be part of the class. The appellate court laughed at this broad certification, saying it would not “reduce the range of issues in dispute and promote judicial economy.” [Consumer Law & Policy Blog]
By consumeristcarey April 12, 2008
More From Consumerist
- Big Tobacco Loses Legal Challenge To FDA Report On Menthol Cigarettes
- Judge Rips Big Tobacco For “Ridiculous… Waste Of Precious Time” In Drafting Warning Ads
- FDA Bans Sale Of E-Cigarettes To Minors; Requires Health Warnings
- It’s Official: No More Smoking E-Cigarettes On Planes
- Could Using The “World’s Ugliest” Color Stop People From Smoking?