Sorry, light cigarette smokers! The Second Circuit denied you class-action status in your suit against the tobacco companies. A district court judge had held that “virtually all Americans who had purchased cigarettes labeled as ‘light'” could be part of the class. The appellate court laughed at this broad certification, saying it would not “reduce the range of issues in dispute and promote judicial economy.” [Consumer Law & Policy Blog]
By consumeristcarey April 12, 2008
- fun with arbitration Appeals Court: Sorry Uber Drivers, You Signed Away Your Right To Sue Company
- tastes like a minty ashtray Big Tobacco Loses Legal Challenge To FDA Report On Menthol Cigarettes
- enough already Judge Rips Big Tobacco For “Ridiculous… Waste Of Precious Time” In Drafting Warning Ads
- up in smoke Will The FDA Ever Get Around To New Warning Labels For Cigarettes?
- up in smoke Pediatricians, American Cancer Society Take FDA To Court Over Delayed Graphic Warning Labels On Cigarettes