Have you heard of “credit card shaving?” In this version of credit card fraud, thieves try out 16-digit number sequences until hitting one that works. Then they take gift cards from stores and shave off the digits and glue them onto a credit card. They scratch the magnetic strip so the clerk has to enter the credit card number by hand. It’s apparently all the rage in Portland There’s no defense against it except to monitor your statement for suspicious charges.
Scam Watch: Credit Card Shaving
By consumerist.com March 31, 2008
- scamalamadingdong How Scammers Trick You Into Giving Up That Security Code On The Back Of Your Credit Card
- we need to know everything Walmart Policy Requires Customers To Fork Over Their Credit Card’s 3-Digit Security Code
- one last time Credit Card Forgers Going On One Last Crime Spree While Magnetic Stripe Readers Are Still Prevalent
- skimmer scammers 2 Men Accused Of Using ATM Skimmer To Take $500K From US Bank Customers
- oh brother Happy Holidays: Target & Secret Service Investigating Credit/Debit Card Breach