That was fast. The Senate today passed H.R. 5140, a $167 billion economic stimulus plan, by a vote of 81-16. The final bill grants rebates to seniors and disabled veterans, but does not extend unemployment insurance or provide heating assistance to the poor. The bill will now take a quick breather in the House before sprinting down Pennsylvania Avenue for the President’s signature. [AP]
More From Consumerist
- White House Promises To Veto Yet Another FCC-Limiting Bill If It Passes
- Senate Votes Down Bill That Would Have Overturned States’ GMO Labeling Laws
- Are Employee Student Loan Contributions The Next 401(K)?
- Senate Approves Bill To Outlaw Vermont GMO Labels, Replace Them With Barcodes
- California Could Be Second State To Raise Minimum Smoking Age To 21