Who Do I Complain About A Bank To?

If you think your bank is doing something so bad that it violates banking regulations, here are the groups that officially regulate banks. Complaining to them might not help your individual issue, but enough complaints could bring some attention on the banks that they would prefer to avoid:

The Federal Reserve
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
Division of Consumer and Community Affairs
20th and C Streets, NW, Stop 801
Washington, DC 20551

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

Use FDIC’s Bank Find to find specific agencies for your bank.
Write a formal complaint letter to the bank’s regulatory agency. Follow the FTC’s instructions for writing a complaint. This document also has the correct contact information for the various regulatory agencies.

State Attorney General
Google for your local state attorney general’s office

[via Gotcha Capitalism]
(Photo: Getty)


Edit Your Comment

  1. AstroPig7 says:

    I’m sorry for the grammatical Nazidom, but “you’re bank”?

  2. ptkdude says:

    @AstroPig7: Shouldn’t it also read “To Whom Do I Complain About a Bank?”?

  3. RottNDude says:

    Yes to both. This site loses a lot of credibility when it sounds like the articles were written by a fifth grader.

  4. Curiosity says:

    Should not there be some guidelines posted as well to what would violate regulations?

    Some people may not realize that while most banks are bound to the law, in many instances their agreement with the bank overrides some of the law. The trick is to know what is and is not a rule.

  5. MissPeacock says:

    @RottNDude: I second that.

  6. Bladefist says:

    @RottNDude: Disagree. I would rather Consumerist put out more articles per day, even if some errors, then just a handful that are perfect. And grammar errors happen in big city newspapers all the time. Having good grammar and spelling doesn’t bring credibility to the table. And I would rather read and respond to intelligent comments to an article then what I am doing now.

  7. NoWin says:

    @Curiosity: The guidelines (from the customer side) are embodied in the Disclosure Agreements. These are freely available to both consumers (non-acct holders) as well as customers (acct holders) in every lobby of a bank. These also list the Regulatory agency (state and/or federal) that oversees that institution.

    Most of the legalese is the Regulatory way the bank processes your money (how/when/where/why). Most cust service reps would gladly sit down with you to explain them in a shortened form.

    Quite often, problems arise when the customer “thinks” the money should be transacted one-way (debited/credited), as compared to how it is transacted “in actuality” according to regulation.

  8. consumerdog says:

    The banks are screwing us over at every turn, and you’re worried about grammar! There is something seriously wrong with that!

  9. loganmo says:

    If your bank is actually a credit union, it probably will not show up on that site. However, credit unions are regulated by the National Credit Union Administration, NCUA, located on the interwebs at [www.ncua.gov]

  10. rjhiggins says:

    @Bladefist: It’s really not that hard to do both. The occasional error is one thing, but sloppiness of this sort does indeed make one wonder if they’re sloppy about the facts as well.

  11. rhombopteryx says:


    No – it’s sensible English. This nitpicking about ending with a preposition is the sort of grammatic pedantry up with which we should not put.

  12. Bladefist says:

    @rjhiggins: Well that is your opinion. Which is fine. I wish people didn’t feel compelled to report every error in the comments. Double wish people didn’t point out my errors (as a commenter) especially in lieu of real debate. I make a lot of controversial comments on this site, because I’m not a left-winged nut job, and people tend to only attack my grammar errors, not my rebuttals.

  13. Bladefist says:

    That was an example of one :)

  14. kc2gvx says:

    In regards to banks, I can hopefully help anyone who has a problem and doesn’t know where to direct it. I am a manager at a regional bank here on the east coast. In every bank’s lobby there is a compliance poster with the address and contact information for customers who need to complain about a violation of federal regulations. Federal regulations deal with things like deposits not clearing within 10 days (max), discrimination against people for loans, fraudulent claims not resolved in 30 business days, excessive checks holds (10 days) and other stuff. The Feds do not get involved with fees, bad customer service, overdraft instances, and other stuff located in the fine print of your brochures you got when you opened the account. If you are unsure whos problem your complaint lies, post a reply and I can try to help if I can.

  15. rhombopteryx says:

    Google your state Attorney’s General office”

    Why bother?
    A large majority of state laws are preempted by federal banking law. Banks laugh when the Attorney General calls.

  16. kc2gvx says:

    Here is a useful website I have also. It only deals with national banks though, not savings institutions.


  17. swalve says:

    @loganmo: Credit unions AREN’T BANKS.

  18. Hoss says:

    Write your congressman. Banking is highly regulated, your congressman can send your inquiry to the right resource. I can’t see how an attorney general would have any leverage with a bank

  19. guymandude says:

    Don’t waste your time writing your Congressman. Have a chat with your State Comptroller of Currency. Trust me… that will get the ball rolling.

  20. loganmo says:


    Um, the US Comptroller of Currency only regulates some banking institutions, not all of them.

  21. loueloui says:

    Your local credit union. They have a special form that strikes fear into the hearts of the most egotistical bankers. It’s cleverly disguised as an application for a new account.

  22. guymandude says:

    @loganmo: That’s why I said STATE comptroller of currency. Can you read?

  23. LawyerontheDL says:

    If you are dealing with a National Bank, which usually calls itself such, or has “N.A” after its name, the federal comptroller of the currency is your best bet. If it is a state bank, the state banking department may be able to help you. There are no state level comptrollers of currency, since currency is dealt with at a federal level.