From the folks that brought you the credit score system in all it’s glory, here’s MedFICO! It’s a new business project underway with the goal of assessing patient’s ability to pay their medical bills. The system would gather patient’s bill payment history from hospitals around the country and then assign patients a score similar to a credit score. Critics are worried if the same problems with people getting erroneous information in their credit report and then having an insanely difficult time cleaning it up would also affect MedFICO. They also worry whether hospitals would use MedFICO to determine the level of care offered, like whether the person gets a hospital stay or not. FICO scores are now being used by some employers to screen out potential employees, would they use MedFICO to see who might take a bigger chunk out of the health benefits?
MedFICO In Development, It's FICO For Patients!
By consumerist.com January 18, 2008
- the times they are a-changing Medical Debt Still Stinks, But New Credit Score Change Will Make It Hurt Your Life Less
- Helping Or Hurting Consumers? Potential FICO Credit Score Changes Could Hurt, Rather Than Help Some Consumers’ Creditworthiness
- Medical Debt Aftershocks Credit Bureaus Are Over-Penalizing Consumers With Medical Debt
- We Can Do Better NCLC: More Can Be Done To Protect Consumers From Hurtful Medical Debt On Credit Reports
- fico ain't nothing but a number Would You Break Up With Someone For Having A Bad Credit Score?