American Express stock fell 7% after saying it would have to write off $275 million, thanks to more and more customers not paying their bills. What is probably happening is that people can’t tap their home equity so they’re going to the next easiest line of credit, credit cards, and failing to pay their bills there as well. In Walden, Thoreau talks about how early New Englanders would make their first homes by digging a cellar in the ground and putting a roof of saplings and bark over the top of it. My, that would make a mighty fine recession shelter.
American Express Writes Down $275 Million Because You Can't Pay Your Bills
By consumerist.com January 12, 2008
- slap on the wrist Bank Of America May Pay $800 Million For Questionable Credit Card Add-Ons
- Just Say No To Fees? Legal Battle Between American Express & DOJ Could Change Credit Card Purchases As We Know Them
- Helping Or Hurting Consumers? Potential FICO Credit Score Changes Could Hurt, Rather Than Help Some Consumers’ Creditworthiness
- stop doing that American Express To Refund $59.5 Million Over Bad Billing & Deceptive Marketing
- no paper here American Express Automatically Switched Me To Paperless Statements; Is That Legal?