Don’t like Facebook secretly tracking your online purchases and telling your friends what you bought? Users of the Firefox we browser can use an easy add-on that jams the beacon’s signal. Just install the BlockSite add-on, and then add http://*facebook.com/beacon/* as one of the blocked sites. Make sure to keep those asterisks in. If that sounds a little complicated, this step-by-step walk-through at Wikihow shows you how it’s done. Alternatively, you could also add the same url to AdBlockPlus, another Firefox extension.
How To Block Facebook's Beacon
By consumerist.com December 5, 2007
- the sound of silence Study: Your Computer May Be Tracking You Online Through An ‘Audio Fingerprint’
- keep your ads to yourself Firefox’s Private Browsing Mode Can Now Block Invasive Online Ads
- Always Know Where You Are Facebook Launching “Place Tips” So You Always Know Everything About Where You Are
- let it go Facebook, Firefox Want Adobe To Just Kill Flash Already After More Security Exploits Found
- bug alert Mozilla: Firefox Bug Could Secretly Search, Upload Your Files