A toy that was recalled in March of 2006 after killing a small boy and seriously injuring 2 dozen others is still for sale at a California Walmart according to Reader Kevin.
The toys were recently spotted all over Illinois by Attorney General Lisa Madigan and reporters for the Chicago Tribune. Kevin writes:
Last night I went to our our Wal-Mart in Ridgecrest, CA (#1600) and snapped some pics of the recalled magnet toys. Of the dozen or so different types of “kits” they had on the shelves, only three had the warning label.
I’m sorry they aren’t better looking (on clarity and color) for I was using rather cheap camera.
Here’s where it gets confusing.
Magnetix sets with a warning label about the danger of internal injury or death from ingesting the magnets are not part of the recall. These toys are newer and have been redesigned to prevent injury. In older versions, (no special intestine/swallowing warning label) the strong magnets could fall out of the toy.
If more than one is eaten by a child, the magnets attract within the body, causing severe injury and in at least one case, death. The confusion surrounding the “warning label/no warning label” issue has led to several more injuries.
It’s not just a new warning label that they slapped on the box. They redesigned the toy to keep kids from having their intestines ripped apart. The older versions should not be still on shelves. Check your local Target, Walmart, Meijer, Kohl’s and other stores for these toys and send us a picture if you find them, to: tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. Make sure they are, in fact, the recalled version by looking for a warning that reads:
“CAUTION: Do not ingest or inhale magnets.
Attraction of magnets in the body may cause
serious injury and require immediate medical care.”