Tax Tip Roundup

AHHHHHHH OH MY GOD TAXES. Don’t worry, you don’t have to mail them until Tuesday. For those finishing their taxes this weekend, here’s some tips to get you started.

Avoid Big Name Tax Places
Tax Deductions You Might Not Know About
Free Tax Guide
Do I Need To Report This Income?
Avoid Tax Refund Anticipation Loans
Avoid IRS Audits
How To File A Federal Tax Extension
Can’t Afford Your Taxes? Apply For An Installment Plan


Edit Your Comment

  1. Chese says:

    Don’t forget Marc Anthony’s tip, Make sure to actually file your taxes.–people-marc

  2. LAGirl says:

    we’ve also got the Joe Francis Guide to Itemizing Deductions:

    “Joe Francis, the “Girls Gone Wild” founder, was indicted today on federal tax evasion charges for illegally deducting more than $20 million in phony business expenses from his 2002 and 2003 corporate tax returns.”

    my personal favorite? $333,333.33 + $1,666,666.67 in false insurance expenses.

  3. DaveInTheCorn says:

    Also, if you make under about $50k, the IRS has a Freefile program where you can get free access to filing a federal return (services provided by such luminaries as H&R Block and TurboTax). Just make sure you turn the state return feature off (b/c they charge for that),,id=118986,00.html

  4. Red_Eye says:

    Also make sure you don’t fall for the old trap of keeping mortgages just for the interest deductions.

    Been hearing a lot of people reccomend this lately.

  5. ducksauce says:

    Actually, I think you can file for free if you make under $100K now instead of $50K, since 2004.

  6. ducksauce says:

    Well, your link clearly says that it applies to 2006, but apparently it is wrong. TurboTax will definitely not charge if you make under $100K, because you qualify for 1040EZ since 2004 and they allow you to file that for free. (

    Maybe this is just a TurboTax thing, though, and not a federally mandated rule.

  7. Buran says:

    I filed back in Feb. Always do, once I get all the forms I need from the bank and my employer. I’m always amused by the last-minute scramble.

    I think you can file for free via the State Farm website if you’re a customer. Too bad I didn’t know that sooner because I use them for auto insurance.

  8. Mulder says:

    You may very well be able to file your state and federal taxes with TurboTax for the Web for free.

    Check the Tax section of your state web site and see if you meet their requirements for e-filing free, and if they have a link to TurboTax for the Web, you must use that link to do both your state and federal returns and there won’t be any charge.

    Not all states participate, but many do.

  9. Trackback says:

    I don’t know how much time Nick spent on his Your Total Measure of Wealth: Job Status but his work is your gain – answer some questions to figure out your job status quotient. My quotient was a 100, thought I’m not sure entirely what that means.