Taxes: Deductions For Non-Itemizers

Even if you’re just going to claim the standard deduction, Don’t Mess With Taxes says there’s above-the-line “deductions” you can take.

They include such things as education-related costs (for teachers as well as students), retirement and health plan contributions and moving expenses, and are available to every eligible taxpayer, even those who itemize.

But they are especially welcome by filers who don’t use Schedule A, since these above-the-line options represent a sort of side-door into the tax deduction room that you previously have felt locked out of.

A good way to shave that tax bill, even if you’re not going to play the whole itemized deduction game. — BEN POPKEN

Deductions for nonitemizers [Don’t Mess With Taxes]

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.