If you haven’t seen Maxed Out yet, put it on your to-do list. And after you’ve watched it and are all fired up about the credit industry, here’s something you can do about it. Student PIRGs has set up a website to collect stories about irresponsible credit card marketing practices on college campuses. Stop in and drop off your own experiences.
Student PIRGs also has six tips to help students avoid getting stuck in debt. They’ve been mentioned on Consumerist before, but they bear repeating:
1. Shop around before getting a card
2. Use your card sparingly
3. Pay off your balance every month
4. Make payments as early as possible to avoid late charges
5. Call your credit card company and ask for a lower rate
6. Seek help if you have trouble paying