Still Missing A W-2? Call The IRS

Still missing last year’s W-2? We mentioned this tip a month ago, but here’s the step by step process for notifying the IRS when nicely phoning the office manager hasn’t worked.

1) Have the employer’s name and address handy.
2) Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040
3) Press 1
4) Press 2
5) Wait for the operator. Tell them that despite your efforts, your employer hasn’t sent you a W-2.

They will take down your information and ask you some questions. It should take about 5 minutes.

The result is that the IRS sends out a notice to your employer saying they better send you the W-2 or they’ll get fined. The IRS will also send you a letter including form 4852 to use to file an estimated W-2 in case you never get the actual W-2. This call also puts a note on your account saying you’re having trouble getting your W-2.

Sure it’s kinda “dick” but when push comes to shove, you gotta do what you gotta do. — BEN POPKEN

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.