You Need To Get A Passport

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

This means no more driver’s license and birth certificate if you’re flying to places that used to accept it. You’ll need a passport. Getting one takes about 6 weeks, so why not apply now? By 2008, land and sea travelers will also need a passport, so there’s not getting around it.

To Apply For A Passport:
To obtain a passport for the first time, you need to go in person to one of 9,000 passport acceptance facilities located throughout the United States with two photographs of yourself, proof of U.S. citizenship, and a valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license. Often these facilities are post offices, so why not apply when you’re mailing your holiday gifts?—MEGHANN MARCO

How to Apply For A Passport [U.S. Department of State]

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.