Another Motorola V3i Stops Working For No Good Reason, Wants $175

Independent confirmation and the plot thickens!

It’s not just random bozos IMing Popken that are finding that Motorola has no capability to service their Razr V3i phones. Reader Darian G. sent us an email that basically reiterates the same thing: although possessing a valid warranty and sending it at his own expense to numerous Motorola servicing centers, Motorola ultimately won’t fix Darian’s phone, nor will they replace it. But, heck, they will sell him a new one.

The fluid-filled swishing of Motorola’s huge ballsy sack, after the jump.

I bought a RAZR v3i off of eBay in June and it almost worked for an entire week. Then suddenly while sitting on my desk overnight it could not establish a signal. Everything else worked perfectly. The following is a condensed version of my quest for repair service.

I went through Cingular, my carrier, they couldn’t get the phone to work again. Swapped SIM cards with others and determined it was the phone.

I called Motorola and they “strongly” encouraged me to send the phone to a regional repair center. I contacted the authorized service company in New Jersey who agreed to repair my RAZR v3i (I clearly specified the model in my e-mail). After I shipped it to them they called back telling me they did not have the tools and were charging me for return shipping.

After receiving my phone back I went through the Motorola web site, entering my IMEI number and receiving confirmation my phone was under warranty and instructions on sending it in for repair. I called the 800 number, spoke to the people with non-American accents, and shipped my phone off to Bloomington, Indiana.

Note: Motorola supposedly has/had a special support number for the v3i, 800-972-4316. I think once a person with an American accent answered. Every other time the same non-American accent picked up.

I monitored the progress of my shipment via the Motorola web site. I watched as my phone was sent out to Fort Worth, Texas. I was concerned that my repaired phone was sent to the wrong address. How wrong I was.

After at least three more attempts with the 800 number I found someone who knew enough to tell me that the Indiana repair center was for overseas phones (which mine was, before it emigrated) and the Texas facility was for domestic phones. (Since when did someone begin manufacturing cell phones in the U.S.A?)

A couple of days later I was left a voice mail message (on my landline, thankfully) telling me there would be a $175 charge for my phone and I needed to call back to authorize the charge. But they did not leave a phone number.

Back to the 800 operators who told me they don’t have any replacement v3i phones or repair tools and I could have a regular v3 or a SLVR, for $175. I told them I bought a v3i, I was told the warranty is good (attached), and Motorola accepted the phone for repair. I got no where.

I attempted to contact Motorola U.S.A., but their switchboard drone kept sending me to the 800 number. Enter Google.

I called the Fort Worth repair center and found out that 1) If an operator forwards an outside call they will be terminated and 2) Motorola does not have the capability to service the v3i. Upset and hoping that Motorola would eventually be able to service my phone I had it shipped back and it sits in my hall closet.

As cute as it is as a camera/mp3 player I really needed a phone. I now have a LG CU500 which I like very much, especially since it feels and so far has proven to be more durable that the RAZR.

I must say the Motorola staff in Texas actually performed customer service (at the risk of their jobs), unlike the non-American accent people and the people at Motorola corporate who have an official anti-consumer policy.

In my vocabulary Six Sigma is a joke.