First Consumer "Popcorn Lung" Case Found

First Consumer "Popcorn Lung" Case Found

A Denver man who snarfed microwaved popcorn at least twice a day for over a decade has been diagnosed with the first consumer case of “popcorn lung” an asthma-like condition that results from over-exposure to popcorn fumes, NYT reports.

“When he broke open the bags, after the steam came out, he would often inhale the fragrance because he liked it so much,” Dr. Rose said. “That’s heated diacetyl, which we know from the workers’ studies is the highest risk.”

Microwave Popcorn May Cause Lung Damage

Microwave Popcorn May Cause Lung Damage

UPDATE: First Consumer “Popcorn Lung” Case Found