(Chris Rief aka Spodie Odie)

Flavoring Company Agrees To Reduce Use Of Ingredient Blamed For “Popcorn Lung”

The backlash against popcorn flavoring diacetyl continues, as one Indianapolis company has agreed to reduce its use of the chemical in popcorn flavoring in order to pay a smaller fine in a settlement with state regulators. As part of the agreement, the company also wrapped up its claims that the Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration had been harassing it over the potential health risks at the plant. [More]

King Soopers: Man's "Popcorn Lung" Condition Came From Carpet Cleaning Chemicals, Not Snacking

King Soopers: Man's "Popcorn Lung" Condition Came From Carpet Cleaning Chemicals, Not Snacking

A man in Colorado is claiming in a lawsuit against grocery chain King Soopers that there is indeed, a condition called popcorn lung, and he’s got it after eating microwave popcorn from the store. He says King Soopers should’ve warned him that an ingredient in the popcorn’s butter flavoring called diacetyl could be dangerous. However the chain’s lawyers say his health issues aren’t due to an overabundance of the snack, but because he worked with cleaning chemicals for years. [More]

http://consumerist.com/2007/09/26/the-house-of-representatives/

The House of Representatives passed a bill today that would require OSHA to limit workers’ exposure to diacetyl, the recently popularized butter-flavored chemical used in microwave popcorn and the suspected source of dreaded “popcorn lung.” The White House has threatened to veto any regulation sent its way, and some House Republicans agree. Said Representative Joe Wilson of South Carolina, “Fundamentally, the science does not exist to state the link between diacetyl and impaired lung function.” [Reuters]

First Consumer With Popcorn Lung Speaks Out

First Consumer With Popcorn Lung Speaks Out

Wayne Watson, the man who loved microwave popcorn so much he ate it twice a day for 10 years is speaking out about his condition for the first time.

First Consumer "Popcorn Lung" Case Found

First Consumer "Popcorn Lung" Case Found

A Denver man who snarfed microwaved popcorn at least twice a day for over a decade has been diagnosed with the first consumer case of “popcorn lung” an asthma-like condition that results from over-exposure to popcorn fumes, NYT reports.

“When he broke open the bags, after the steam came out, he would often inhale the fragrance because he liked it so much,” Dr. Rose said. “That’s heated diacetyl, which we know from the workers’ studies is the highest risk.”