A Denver man who snarfed microwaved popcorn at least twice a day for over a decade has been diagnosed with the first consumer case of “popcorn lung” an asthma-like condition that results from over-exposure to popcorn fumes, NYT reports.
“When he broke open the bags, after the steam came out, he would often inhale the fragrance because he liked it so much,” Dr. Rose said. “That’s heated diacetyl, which we know from the workers’ studies is the highest risk.”
In response to the University of Florida study that showed that microwaving sponges kills 99.9% of bacteria (p.s. they’re supposed to be wet) the Guardian has compiled a list of 10 things one can do with a microwave other than cook. Our favorites: