We know it’s tempting to squirrel away that food on the verge of rotting and bring it along on your next plane trip, you know, in case it’s still edible when you land. But anyone traveling on that same flight with you would really appreciate if you didn’t, you know, because going without your luggage while it’s de-maggoted is a big inconvenience. [More]
Never mind locally-sourced, fresh-from-the-farm ingredients — is it too much to ask that an airport sandwich not have maggots in it? An eatery at the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta says it’s going to switch vendors after a customer claimed to have been sold food with a side order of maggots. [More]
A McDonald’s customer in Melbourne, Australia, claims he got a most unwelcome add-on to his Big Mac: maggots. [More]
A US Airways flight from Atlanta to Charlotte had to return to the airport gate on Monday evening after writhing maggots rained down on passengers in one row while the plane was taxiing. The source of the critters? A container of rotten meat that a passenger somehow brought on the plane and stashed in the overhead bin. [More]
Via Consumer Reports Health blog: A recent study found that FDA-approved maggots work faster than hydrogel dressing to remove dead tissue in human leg ulcers. However, the ulcers healed just about as fast whether maggots or hydrogel was used. So, while the maggots weren’t any better than the hydrogel, they also weren’t any worse. At the very least medical maggots are a viable alternative, and should be considered in other dead-tissue clearing applications. Hopefully you’ll never need maggots but if your doctor should ever happen to suggest them, resist the urge to run away screaming. They’re just trying to
feed on your flesh help!
Do you read Consumerist on your lunch break? Oops. Here’s a photo of something Richard colorfully calls “maggot stew” lining the bottom of his dog’s food dish, right after Banjo finished a heaping helping of Purina Beneful. Richard says Banjo seems okay so far, but we think it’s interesting that this is the second Beneful maggot story we’ve received in under a week. Read Richard’s full story below.
Christina’s two dogs fell ill after eating Purina Beneful infested with maggots and fly larvae. After taking her dogs to the vet, Christina called Purina for an explanation, only to be told: “As soon as our food leaves our factory, it is no longer our responsibility.”
Chomp, chomp, chomp, smoosh! Blogger Savannah Red’s wife was enjoying a freshly opened box of Goobers when she bit into something not sweet or chocolatey, but squishy: a maggot.