After another day of student health center admissions and disease incubation, Boston College now reports that 120 of their students are sick with vomiting and nausea. The majority report that they had recently eaten at a Chipotle restaurant near the campus over the weekend, proving either that they contracted the illness there, or that college students are very fond of Chipotle and norovirus happens is very contagious. [More]
It’s hard enough for some people to keep plants alive and thriving on the face of the Earth, but a team of astronauts on the International Space Station have green enough thumbs that they’ve managed to cultivate plants in space. Today, they’ll get to eat the fruits of their labors, chowing down on the first-ever lettuce grown in space. [More]
If you bought some Dole Italian Blend bagged salad recently in any of the following states — Florida, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Mississippi and Virginia — you should probably take a look at this story to make sure you don’t have a salad that could possibly be contaminated by Listeria monocytogenes. [More]
Freshway Foods has recalled shredded romaine lettuce distributed in 23 states and the District of Columbia due to possible E. coli contamination. The affected lettuce was packaged for food service, wholesale, and salad bar consumption–not directly to consumers, except in salad kits sold at Kroger, Giant Eagle, Ingles Markets, and Marsh. [More]
There’s a pretty nasty e. coli outbreak going on in Michigan and Illinois — apparently “industrial” sized bags of lettuce from a Michigan company called “Aunt Mids” have been contaminated. Among those affected were students at Michigan State and the University of Michigan and some inmates at Lenawee County Jail. [Michigan Department Of Community Health & Progressive Grocer] (Thanks, Alex!)
When NPR asked the FDA “point man” on “all things e. coli” whether bagged salad was safe to eat he replied, “No, I don’t believe it is.” Good enough for us.
From the New York Post:
A 16-year-old boy says he suffered “severe and permanent personal injuries” after eating food from a Long Island Taco Bell.
One likely problem is the proximity of ranching and farming operations in parts of California. Cattle and other animals harbor the bacteria, which is shed in their feces.