Reader Virginia was shopping at the military commissary on Dyess AFB, TX when she noticed the above pictured display for cold medicine. Everything was fine until she took a closer look at the picture of the baby…
Brian, you are the man. After seeing yesterday’s post regarding the confusing expiration codes found on some foods, Brian sent The Consumerist a handy cheat sheet explaining the various code format, found inside. A+.
Here are our favorite disgusting stories of 2008. You’re welcome!
Reader Wormfather had an unsatisfactory Red Lobster experience with waiters joking about “diarrhea” and wanting “hot” customers, but after mentioning it to the manager, the couple left with satisfaction and smiles on their faces. His story, inside…
A new study challenging the idea that bottled water is “purer” than tap water found a laundry list of nasty substances in major brand name water, and named two brands that exceeded California’s health standards.
A Days Inn in Cleveland, Ohio, has bedbugs, a mother of four found out when the Red Cross put her family there for the night after her house burned down. Yes, it’s another bedbugs-in-hotels story, but this time there are pictures! [WKYC.com]
Reader Jamie’s Applebee’s dinner came with an interesting ingredient: an expiration date sticker. Understandably grossed out, Jamie asked Applebee’s for some new food. They agreed, fished out the sticker and brought the old food back. Ick.
A Chicago man is suing Shaw’s Crab House after passing a 9-foot tapeworm he contends came from consuming undercooked fish. Anthony Franz claims he became violently ill after eating the salmon salad at Shaw’s, and is suing the restaurant and its parent company, Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, for $100,000.
People, we’re never going to attract Canadian tourists if we keep scaring the hell out of them with fireworks and bedbugs. Esmond and his girlfriend were staying at a Travelodge in Sandusky, Ohio on July 5th, and couldn’t sleep because of fellow Travelodge guests shooting off fireworks in the parking lot. Around 1:30 a.m. there was a loud boom:
Ew! United Airlines 1178 was delayed 6 hours because a passenger spotted a tick hitching a ride in coach during a previous flight from Washington D.C. to Denver. The airline isn’t sure how the plane got tick infested, but had to temporarily pull the plane out of service while a crew cleaned it.
Why not try a SmartServe Chicken, brought to you by Sysco:
The always excellent Chicago Reporter informs us that the annual mass tourist migration known as the Taste of Chicago is basically the foulest thing ever. If you’ll recall, last year the Taste was struck by an outbreak of salmonella— so this year the Reporter has gathered some disgusting statistics and anecdotes guaranteed to make you think twice before buying those tickets.
It’s hard to fit everything you need to do into an average day, but this ingenious DirecTV installer found a way to show up late to his appointments, take a break for lunch, and drop the kids off at the pool—all before 5pm! Now if only he’ll remember to bring a ladder with him the next time so he can actually complete the installation.
Robert Downey Jr. says he gave up drugs after Burger King served him ” a cheeseburger so disgusting that it forced him to reassess his entire life.” The burger was so nasty that he suddenly felt like something terrible was going to happen to him, so he threw all his drugs into the ocean and has been clean ever since. One man’s complaint is another’s life changing epiphany, we suppose. [OK!]
A Florida man dining at Outback Steakhouse found a delicious treat in his potato soup: a two-inch industrial bolt that chipped his tooth.
A representative for a Sonic restaurant in Eunice, Louisiana has admitted that two of their employees were spitting in customers’ drinks. “It was brought to my attention by the manager of the store that the incident was brought to his attention that an employee had spit in a drink of a customer,” said the rep. Oh, good. So long as something was brought to someone’s attention.