(CBS Dallas)

Power Company Burns Down Couple’s House During Cancer Treatment

M.D. Anderson Hospital in Houston, Texas offers world-class cancer treatment, and a man who lives near Dallas traveled there to continue treatment after fighting cancer for three years. He had just learned that chemotherapy was no longer working when a call came from their neighbors back in northern Texas: their home was on fire. [More]

Mercedes Recalls 250,000 Vehicles Because Taillight Issue Could Lead To Small Trunk Fires

Mercedes Recalls 250,000 Vehicles Because Taillight Issue Could Lead To Small Trunk Fires

It’s never a fun experience when something in your vehicle fails. It’s even worse when that failure could lead to a trunk fire. And that’s precisely the reason Mercedes-Benz is recalling more than 250,000 vehicles. [More]

Ron Dauphin

Do Not Set Bird Seed On Fire To Distract Walmart Staff From Shoplifters

Shoplifting is a crime, a scourge in the retail business, and very, very bad. Do you know what’s worse than than shoplifting, though? Setting the store on fire to distract store security while your companion shoplifts. Now a Minneapolis woman has been charged with two counts of arson, and the Walmart store where this happened sustained six-figure damage. [More]

Man Runs Into Burning Home To Rescue Xbox

Man Runs Into Burning Home To Rescue Xbox

There’s a story I used to tell my college roommate’s little sisters that would make them squeal with joy every single time: There was once a fire in my house (not the laughter part) and upon seeing the flames, my dad ripped the Nintendo console out of the wall in my brothers’ bedroom, dashed downstairs and got everyone — and the Nintendo — safely out of the house. That’s how we explained having the console later but not the necessary cords to connect it. [More]

(Mark Turnauckas)

It doesn’t have to be cold outside for your office to be a little drafty. Buildings ban space heaters for a reason, though. Just ask the Pennsylvania factory worker whose clothes caught fire due to to the small heater he was keeping in his workspace. [The Intelligencer]

(PepOmint)

6 Home Appliances Most Likely To Self-Immolate

Kitchen appliances make our lives more convenient and our meals more delicious, but they’re also dangerous. Dangerous? Ordinary appliances start tens of thousands of fires in United States homes every year. Our colleagues down the hall at ShopSmart rounded up some common causes of appliance fires and warned us all. [More]

(Tom Mascardo 1)

Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship Catches Fire, Toilets Continue To Work

If you had been considering a cruise vacation because nothing has gone terribly wrong on any major ships in at least a couple of weeks, maybe you should reconsider. Passengers on their third day of a Royal Caribbean cruise were dragged out of bed in the wee hours of the morning and told to put their life vests on because of a fire on board. [More]

(The Joy Of The Mundane)

Before House Fire Flames Are Out, Contractors And Adjusters Drum Up Business

When a house catches fire, there can be more than one type of first responder. There are the life-saving fire department and emergency medical services…and then there are the businesspeople selling repair and cleanup services, who sometimes arrive at the scene at the same time as the official first responders. Instead of hoses, axes, and ladders, these crews carry clipboards, contracts, and business cards. [More]

(CarbonNYC)

Before you go running out of your house to purchase an all new set of plastic pet bowls, let’s be realistic here — it’s probably not likely that your dog’s metal dish will catch the sunlight in just such a way as to spark a house fire, but anything is possible. One couple in California found out that the hot, fiery way. [More]

This totally sucks!

Does The Lint Lizard Actually Work? Surprisingly, Yes

Infomercial products usually claim to solve a problem that you didn’t know you had. This is usually the stuff of jokes, but what if the products actually improved our lives and made us and our homes more safe? Such a thing is possible in the case of the Lint Lizard, a $11 gadget that promises to attach to your vacuum and suck gobs of lint out of the crevices of your dryer. [More]

Um, Why Did My Frigidaire Microwave Randomly Catch Fire?

Um, Why Did My Frigidaire Microwave Randomly Catch Fire?

Though not advertised as a feature, Matt recently learned that if you turn off a Frigidaire microwave and leave the house, it might spontaneously combust. A service tech blamed a short-circuiting switch for the blaze, which thankfully didn’t cause any serious property damage. [More]

54,000 More HP Batteries Recalled

54,000 More HP Batteries Recalled

Hewlett-Packard doesn’t just make props for cringeworthy feature length commercials; the company also sells batteries that sometimes catch fire. A year ago HP recalled about 70,000 bad batteries, and now it’s added another 54,000 to the list. [More]

Comcast Would Like You To Return The Cable Boxes Destroyed When Your Home Burned Down

Comcast Would Like You To Return The Cable Boxes Destroyed When Your Home Burned Down

Working hard to maintain their Worst Company in America trophy, a Comcast rep demanded that a couple whose home was destroyed in an apartment fire return their cable boxes, or pay $1,300. Oh, and they lose their promotional rate because they had the audacity to suspend their service. Because they are living in a hotel. After their home was destroyed. [More]

Gas Fire Columns Recalled For Being Too Aptly Named

Gas Fire Columns Recalled For Being Too Aptly Named

Some outdoor gas fire columns sold through Costco in the past 6-7 months have been recalled, because “gas can leak from connections in the column, posing a fire hazard.” I guess that’s why the photo shows it next to a serene koi pond–it’s so you can grab a rake and push it into the water if it gets too fire column-y. [More]

Man Dies In Freak Gas Pump Fire Caused By Static Electricity

Man Dies In Freak Gas Pump Fire Caused By Static Electricity

A Pennsylvania man died last Friday in a freak fire at a gas station. Authorities say that the fire was sparked by static electricity on the man’s body, and he died of inhalation of superheated gases. While this type of fire is very rare and fatalities even rarer, they do happen. To prevent them, you should do something terribly mundane: do not ever get back in your car while fueling, and make sure to touch a metal surface before fueling. [More]

Watch Out For Fire Hazardy Knock-Off Christmas Lights

Watch Out For Fire Hazardy Knock-Off Christmas Lights

CBS’s The Early Show aired a segment last Friday about counterfeit holiday lights and extension cords, mostly from China and mostly available at dollar stores, that can cause fires. The problem is that the manufacturers use shoddy materials, and sometimes even fake UL stickers, to give the impression that they’re following safety guidelines. You find out they’re not when your tree goes up in flames. [More]

Blair Recalls More Flammable Clothing After Yet Another Fire

Blair Recalls More Flammable Clothing After Yet Another Fire

“Consumers Urged to Stop Use of Flammable Wearing Apparel,” says the warning on the Consumer Product Safety Commission Web site. You would think so, wouldn’t you? But Blair, the catalog where your grandmother probably gets all of her clothes, has expanded their recall of chenille sleepwear after nine deaths and another reported chenille fire.

Comcast Takes Setting Your House On Fire "Very Seriously"

Comcast Takes Setting Your House On Fire "Very Seriously"

If a Comcast subcontractor accidentally drills into your electrical box and sets fire to your home — rest assured that the company will take it seriously. One Pennsylvania homeowner is feeling the seriousness right now. It all started when she asked Comcast to install a cable outlet in her kitchen, and it ended with smoke and flames and $20,000 in damage.