Applebee’s served a four-inch dead lizard as part of a salad last week. The McLean County Health Department investigated the surprise garnish and found that while “management confirmed it did happen,” “it’s just one of those extraordinary circumstances,” and that the restaurant was not at fault.
Reader Nohreen says she bought an apple from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and it turned out to be rotten inside. When she called the store to complain, they told her it wasn’t rotten, just brown from having been cut awhile ago. Nohreen said she’d bring the apple back to show them that it was actually rotten, but they told her not to waste her gas because there was nothing they could do about it. When she got to the store, rather than help her, she says the employees called security.
Disturbing news from Horizon Air: rising costs have apparently forced the airline to replace lavatory sinks with a “lone bottle of hand sanitizer glued to the counter.”
A recent class action claims that Select Comfort Sleep Number beds are nothing more than overactive allergen mills. According to the suit, the bed’s faulty air chambers allow moisture to form under the mattress foam, providing a perfect breeding ground for mold spores.
Torontoist reader Charles claims to have received a used tube of Vaseline with his bagged slice of vegetarian pizza. He wrote:
Yes, this is how the slice came: a used and soiled “Convenience Size” bottle of Vaseline moisturizer, as found in a Pizza Pizza, bagged slice of pizza; purchased in-store at 8:30PM (EST) 23 February 2008, Yonge St near Bloor St (Toronto, Canada).
Attention: This is gross. If you don’t want to read this post, we understand.
Yes, you read that correctly. Strawberry Cheetos. They’re really Cheetos, and they’re really from Frito Lay, but they are only available in Japan.
Used condoms as hair bands? We’re all for recycling and everything, but this story pushes boundaries of good taste… and public health.
We hope you have not been using any drugs or vitamins from General Therapeutics Corp., because they’ve been busted for manufacturing the drugs in “grossly unsanitary” conditions, says the FDA.
A Children’s Place store was shut down and fumigated after an outbreak of scabies amongst its employees. Ew!
Jones Soda launches dirt, sweat tasting Seattle Seahawks themed sodas. No thanks. [BusinessWeek]
We thought Kellogg was going to stop marketing unhealthy crap to kids? Oh well, the big bright picture of Toucan Sam on the front of Kellogg’s new “Cereal Straws” must mean that they are super healthy! Wow!
It is a symptom of our curious existence that while processed vegetables and fruits give us the constant convenience of food that has been cleaned and prepared, the truth remains that mechanization and automation of the processing is imperfect, and the price we pay for never having to pull a bean from a garden is that, occasionally, there will be a decapitated snakehead on our dinnerplate.