The Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act—which requires filtration systems to have special safety covers—was named after a 7-year-old who was killed in 2002 when she was trapped at the bottom of a hot tub by “hundreds of pounds of suction force.” It’s not the sort of accident that happens frequently, but when it does it’s a grisly and horrific event. Unfortunately, despite the law being in effect since the middle of last month, and the fact that pool operators have known about it for over a year, CNN reports that many pools still haven’t been brought into compliance.
For those puritans shocked by the sight of a real live breast adorning Baby Talk magazine, or even those shocked by those who were shocked… remember, it could be much worse. Last month someone got stoned (as in, pelted with heavy rocks) in Ethiopia for simply breastfeeding in public. Further shocked was visiting world humanitarian and sometimes U2 band member, Bono. Reports CBS2 Chicago:
Zulkey agrees with the outrage over a giant breast gracing the cover of BabyTalk.